Search This Blog

Friday, April 1, 2011

A Velvet Hammer

On our day off from work my roommates and I would head down to the coffee shop for a "Velvet Hammer." I looked forward to those crazy drinks for the sudden rush of caffeine and sugar that allowed me to wake up while also get everything done in my one free day. My roommates would wait smoking outside in the spring time morning light as I ordered our beverages. I had stopped smoking,  I made up my mind to just not smoke anymore, I didn't want to miss out on my fresh air. I also only socially smoked, I realized stress doesn't go away when you smoke it's part of that meditation system of taking a brake and relaxing with a cigarette. Now if only I had realized my beverage choices were slowing killing me too....A Velvet Hammer was a 24 oz. coffee specialty. First, you pour gooey caramel sauce on the inside of the cup full of ice then you put 5 pumps of vanilla syrup and mocha syrup with a tiny splash of milk at the bottom to catch the 4 hot steaming shots of espresso then stir a bit, top the rest of the way with milk, whip cream and drizzle sauces all over the top. WOW it's liquid candy and coffee! When I drank one of those I would suddenly get our whole apartment cleaned and every chore finished then I washed my car and even stocked up on groceries. I was aware that by early evening I would be crashing from this high of so much sugar and caffeine! I loved having everything on my list checked off just as my head hit the couch cushion. THIS wasn't any healthier then actually smoking, but I was in a mind set that if I only had one day off I needed to get everything done, like dishes and laundry so I could work away the next week without feeling overwhelmed. Coffee drinks were my one weakness, but as I matured soon my taste buds did too, saving me from ever actually craving a Velvet Hammer again! For now I love a straight up black cup of coffee, that old fashion kind of beverage which doesn't have whip cream and so much sugar dripping down the sides. And actually helping me keep my own sides from growing too! Hahahahahahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment