Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

"What do you do with your time?"

My Grandma visited my parents last week, the only grandparent I have left in my life actually. She is still pretty young at just 77 years old, I think with her stubbornness she could reach 107 years with no problem. When I joined her and my mother for lunch one day during her stay, she asked me a very interesting question! While she was sitting next to me over soup and bread sticks she asked "What DO you do with...your time?" I don't care really what tone she may have used, I was simply stunned that she asked me a direct question! She hasn't really been that interested in me since I got married quite honestly. (It's understandable that she would side with her first born son over THAT part of my history.) I never expected her to relate to my side, I knew her very well. I understood her long before she disliked me! In fact, one of my family members said that my grandma had to create a cover story for not attending my wedding. I had to stop and think to myself "She wasn't at my wedding? Hmmmmmm I guess not...or did I forget to invite her?!?" To explain the dynamics between my Grandma and I could make for a really juicy novel (Maybe someday). Since I was inspired by the thoughtfulness of my cousin Henry, How he drove our Grandma back to Idaho from her winter home in Arizona and he still thought she needed our love more now then ever, even after that long drive. (I was very impressed! For I am a HUGE believer in LOVE!)
My Grandma was asking me, "What DO you do with...your time?" because I do not have a job, usually in "small talk" this is a comfortable area to chat about, things like your job, your kids, your house or even your car. Soooooo since she dislikes my husband, thinks my dog is a bad breed of aggression and most importantly that I don't have the distraction of any kids. She finds herself politely visiting while we eat, realizing that on top of all those things I don't even have a job, She doesn't know what I do! I smiled at her honesty in her question, for I liked it because SHE has not asked me a personal question in at least 9 years now. "What do I do with my time?" I really think my Grandma's question is more for myself to reflect and to share.....
          I wake up next to my snoring dog with the sound of my husband in the shower, I linger awhile before I spring out of bed and get fully dressed knowing it will be cold outside. Then I make coffee, I enjoy my espresso machine and usually throw a latte to go! With just one car, I have to deliver my husband to his office. Then I go straight to the park for all my dog's needs! (On Uneventful days I just stay home and I really like that too! No car, no big deal, for I am HOME with projects to do and a lazy napping dog)

My dog and I play Frisbee, go on walks as I drink in the morning sun! We watch the ducks in the pounds, even pop over to the dog park. Some mornings last longer outside if I have a pretty open day!

Of course as soon as I get home from the park I wash all the dishes, YUP just like this picture:-D OKAY, OKAY maybe I get to the dishes eventually in my afternoon...LIKE after I post on this blog or write some fresh new story ideas. I truly look forward to my writing mid-morning times, I usually have my breakfast after the running around in the park, to sit on a comfy chair writing.

     After my dog is all cared for, I then tend my cat, I brush her and clean her litter while replacing her grass. YUP! I said GRASS! She has her own cup of grass inside by her food since she never gets let outside nor would she want to. Our neighborhood roads are crowded and full of activities.

I think the care of both my cat and dog shows just how busy I am, with such important work like this in my life:-D

Now I do the laundry, my laundry room finally got painted a bright fun yellow. Even though I don't spend much time in there. I like to keep the clothes washed and hang up daily. My bed may or may not get made because if the cat and dog are playing in the piles of blankets I just leave them. Most importantly for me is to not do laundry on the weekends. especially when it is the time I spend with my husband! Laundry and me battle during the week, I am happiest with this chore when I have every article of clothing washed and hung up! Of course I have to walk around the home naked for awhile and it gets problematic when it's cold out. So maybe some small pile of dirty clothes is okay after all....but it is just one of those daily things to do!

I also like to read in the afternoon sun when it comes out. I get a blanket on the grass lay next to my dog and read for a few hours in the new spring warmth!

I also have another daily chore of cleaning my refrigerator, I am......what is the word? Ooooh YES! Obsess! I have to clean any and all messes in my frig! Sorry, no lingering around food for a science project here! I wipe out and organize every single day my refrigerator! Then just before new week of groceries I wash all the shelves and drawers in my soapy sink. I can also take my dishwasher apart to clean it from the layers of motors and screens. I am sure it not the normal homemaking projects but I am proud of these things to be so clean as if they are still NEW. The other day my oven fan was really bugging me with splats of grease all over. Now it sparkles like brand new and I am happy!  My trash cans, my cupboards and the bathroom needs to stay clean daily so I keep busy! I love these kinds of things, I love organization and the long lasting appliances. In each room of my home I am never bored and most importantly never get surround by clutter or dirt:-D  

I have to go grocery shopping somewhere in my week also! My favorite place is the fruit stand, although I do try to remember this guy's approach in this picture when next time I am in the grocery store, Looks like he has those tomato cans in line perfectly, wasting NO TIME! Of course knowing MY LUCK they would say SUGAR-FREE canned Tomatoes, THEN I would be annoyed as I am clearly allergic.

Okay so now I have just begun my list of how I live my day, I haven't mention my pop-ins to the craft stores, second hand clothing or bookstore. My coffee shop corners or favorite shops downtown? I guess I do so many things in average day it's hard to create an actual list!
"What do you do with your time?"
I create it, I own it........I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment