Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Clownie the Wownie

When it comes to having cousins in my life, my cup runth happily over! Coming from a big family on my father's side and currently seeing more babies being born on my mother's side, Cousins are like having automatic friends for life. A generation removed from the all adults, the cousins can create their own relationship of understanding. Without my 2 older cousins (Trina and Cally) I would have been a stupid child, in my first decade of life those girls were my only true friends. So I think of cousins like a treasure, a place to go in being safe and loved. Among cousins there is a history, an understanding of the family politics that we all share. I was an odd ball child and I didn't have a normal childhood so with my cousin's help I was given a chance to learn about society. That is why I think family is so important! For we need all the laughter and support we can get out in the world!

My cousin Henry was an only child, with his blond hair and big eye glasses. I liked him instantly when I met him as a baby, I got to carry him around all the time. Then as he grew, I watched over him on the tire swings or on our fun nature hikes. He always had a story going as he walked and talked, when we played with his toy trucks in the hillside or played one of my favorites "Restaurant" in the front yard of our grandparents home in St. Maries, Idaho. He would help me add dandy lions flowers to our restaurant foods. 
I also loved surprising cousin Henry whenever my family pop into town. I would happily walk right up to him and say "Hey, Can I play?" then he would burst out in excitement to suddenly see me standing there smiling! One time he was having a tea party with some friends when I surprised him and He threw himself up in my arms with such surprise! We were good friends ever since. Although staying close over the years can be hard especially since things change in the family, I am thankful to know him again, along with his sweet husband and his currently happy adult life!

When the sad day came years ago, Henry's father had a tractor accident. It was a scary sad time when the whole big family came together. Most everyone was crying, it was such a dark time. I could sense the fear of my uncle dying, (he actually survived but was forever a different person.) That was on a Sunday evening, when the walls of my grandparents place was filled with tears. My father caught me by the shoulder asking me to go play with Henry in another bedroom away from the dramatic situation. I didn't know how I could help, so I gave my little cousin a big hug as he cried for awhile. We both had tears down our cheeks while we sat on the bed away from all the rest. I wasn't really sure if I could cheer Henry up or not. So we both sat like this a moment longer, I just listened awhile he was worrying over his father. In this calm bedroom I was sparked with an idea of a puppet show to help cheer up the situation. So I grabbed some toys while I was crawling around on the floor playing to cousin Henry as he sat on the bed of pillows and blankets. It was the debut of "CLOWNIE THE WOWNIE"! Clownie was a homemade clown toy, made from a block of wood, with a foam ball head and knitted hot pink hat on top. Along with sticking out blond hair, the long legs and arms were made from wooden laundry cloth line clips. I loved how the toy clown could wiggle and move around easily, in it's pink and purple clown suit. I began my story in my different goofy voices and my puppet show came alive! Henry giggled while watching as I created a funny, happy, new world from my puppets. "Well, HELL-OoO there!" Clownie said to Henry as I made him walk along the side of the bed. Henry ducked his face into the pillow laughing hard now. "I think I shall go for a walk! Nothing bad happens on a walk right? I mean it's not like I could catch on fire or fall into a hole or get stuck in a tree right?" Suddenly, little cousin Henry exclaimed "There is fire on your hat!" I let the clown go into a squealing fit and dancing all around in pure panic! Henry just died laughing over my theatrics until we both were laughing so hard our sides hurt. It became a tradition from that moment on that when we played with Clownie the Wownie there was always fire on his hat! I often thought about that evening all those years ago, when we were surrounded by a real sense of sorrow. How I could create a funny magical place for my little cousin to escape into as we laughed longer then when we had cried. Maybe that is why I love puppet shows to this day!

Henry burst out from hiding in his pillow "There is fire on your hat!!" again he was already laughing hysterically, as I made a goofy face changing my voice to be like the clown speaking "OH NO! NOT AGAIN AAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Where's some water? QUICK! BLAAAAAA! Where does the dang fire come from? AAAAAAAA" we both fell down against the side of the bed laughing so long at our own goofiness! At our own imaginations and our long lasting friendship!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Debby. I don't think that I ever knew you did this for Henry! That was a dark time and I am so glad he had a cousin that cared so much.
    I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too!!
    This might have been when both Henry and I came to love puppet shows so much hahaha:-)

    ReplyDelete