Search This Blog

Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Zipper

During the week I spent with my Grandparents when I was just 9 years old in that summer of 1988, we went to the Courd'Alene summer fair. Along with my cousin CallyAnne, who was usually a shy person I noticed. She would even duck into hiding if she thought people were starring at us as I talked loudly. I always admired and followed her around all the time like a lost puppy unsure of why she was so aware of other people's attention on us. If I said something way to ridiculous, Cally's cheeks would flush as she exclaimed "Ddddebby! Shhhhh!"  I would often just shrug smiling back. I only understood what I thought and didn't realize I was such an outgoing loud child at the time. That whole day at the fair was magical and fun, we watched a magic show and I mumbled that my mom hates magic and I shouldn't be watching this. I darted behind my grandparents as they reminded me it was harmless and just for fun. Slowly, I glance up at the very bright blue sky wondering if God would tell on me for enjoying this evil thing called "Magic". It was scary at first to not have my parent looming over me, yet I soon got so use to it. "The Zipper" was a different ride for me, my cousin Cally wanted to ride it very eagerly. I willingly followed her on the "Death Trap" at least I thought that is was where I had looked death in the face through the cage straight down at the ground and then screamed as I was flipped up into the air! The ride was painful for a small 9 year old to fly up bumping my head on the top of the cage then I was sitting at a slant and couldn't get my feet to touch anything for support. I was more terrified then I had ever remembered on a ride at the Fair, I began to beg Cally to get me off this ride as my fearful tears slid down my face. I had been keeping my eyes closed most of the time so when I looked over to Cally she was tightly wedged down against the side of the cage, she was pure white and her own eyes were shut as she screamed through the screen side of our seats, to let us off right now. I was relieved that she agreed with me the ride was way to scary and even though she is a few years old then me, she didn't make fun of me for crying. Papa and Grandma were very surprised when they saw us running to them looking so sick and sad. So we were treated to refreshments as Papa Rudy won at the booth games, Grandma said he always had such luck at the Fair. When Papa reminded us girls that when he was our age he never knew about a Farris Wheel ride or what a carnival was. I added back "WELL now you know! Stay away from the Zipper or you could die!" Cally would just shake her head at me with a chuckle replying "Oh Debby."

1 comment:

  1. zippers now are a hole lot slower than they used to be, what a shame, such a grate ride, in my opinyon eny way.

    George out

    ReplyDelete