Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Grandma's Hot cakes

There was something magical about visiting St. Maries, Idaho while I grew up! The fact that my Grandparents had a huge house at the end of a private road, the place  opened up out into the world of nature, grassy valleys and surrounded by forest trees. My father's siblings would all meet there with their own families as the whole big family came together! I thought this was a great time in our lives, being young and all together. I am aware now that it might not have been such a "Utopia" especially among the adults, with all that history. As a kid I missed out on those political debates, all those disagreements. I didn't notice if everyone liked each other or not...I just knew that it was awesome to have all my relatives together, for we played card games while enjoying a BBQ. Grandma liked spoiling us with chocolate milk, push-up ice cream bars and rootbeer floats. She was always up every morning at 6am brewing coffee, making breakfast. I noticed that there were many names for these pancakes, while Grandma called them "Hot Cakes", Her husband Papa Rudy called them "Flap Jacks". I also liked how early my Grandparents got up, I would lay awake excited to see them, knowing if no one is up yet I couldn't get up either. So I listened for the squeaking sound on all those leather bar stools, which meant Papa was up with his coffee and newspaper. My mother was always the very last to get up and she reluctantly walked around the outside of the kitchen watching over us kids. She probably felt "lost" not doing the cooking herself. The kitchen was in the center of the home with a long white counter opened out into the kitchen so you could see all the way through. Mom sat down by the wood stove edge watching Grandma serve us cold cereal as we waited to eat some cooking pancakes. Mom commented quickly "There is no need for more sugar in that already loaded with sugar cereal." I glanced at her over my shoulder as Grandma sprinkled raw sugar over the milk and cereal. Mom then sighed and looked away as Grandma clearly didn't hear her. I didn't realize it back then but my Grandma called the shots no matter what. When I began requesting Grandma's Hot cakes, she would burst out into a big smile and hug me saying she was so glad I loved her hot cakes and so just for me, she will always cook them up! Breakfast time at my grandparents was my most favorite meal and it lasted for hours. The popping sound of the fireplace, the smell of brewed hot coffee and the strong laughter from Papa Rudy and my Dad, just as Grandma gave me a wink with the flip of a freshly cooked pancake on my plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment