Search This Blog

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Meet Alison

Meet Alison, the girl I drew up one day on a white sheet of fresh clean paper, I sharpen my pencil and drew a story since I couldn't read or write. I was just a young 7 year old girl, when I sat down and drew up Alison! I have NO IDEA why her name was always Alison, I tried to change her name so many times at first, and I DID try with names like Abby or Mary. Always In mid-way of all my drawings the name I had chosen would automatically change to Alison! So I gave up, leaving her name as my main character to all my drawings. My drawings that were stories by the drawing of expressions and pictures I created. Being home schooled our school room also doubled as my brother's bedroom, when I would look up from my story I was saying out loud and drawing, both my little sister and brother would be hanging on my every word and asking to see my drawings, my pictures. While my story was going, I was lost with Alison, lost in the story world. I became a "Story Teller" with my drawings of Alison. It became a routine that whenever I sat down with fresh paper my siblings would sit on either side of me ready for a new adventure and story! I loved sharing my pictures and my story world with them. Sometimes a story would die in mid thought, or I would loose the thrill of it. Then I would stop drawing and leaving my brother and sister mad at me for not producing an ending to my story. I soon learn to not drag on the story with Alison so long, I began to always plan the ending before I knew the beginning so I wouldn't leave them upset at the unfinished story.
I talked about romance, adventure, and a whole other world I had yet to really live in. I drew Alison being pregnant or a nanny with a hundred kids. She had heroes like handsome men saving her from prison or a magical horse that rescued her from drowning. I told of stories that came to my mind or I had seen on the TV. I also drew the most amazing hair styles and never want a girl to go without beautiful red lips....This was my other world, my perfect place with pen and paper of my friend Alison. 
A place that was far better then where I really was, a story I could control and see the sparks of excitement in my siblings eyes. Whenever I saw a blank piece of paper I felt like I was "Alice in Wonderland" I felt down the "rabbit hole" in being a story teller, of seeing things differently through my imagination, where Alison never leaves me and never ages. She has returned lately once again as I draw now in my early 30s. I sit up late at night recreating her on new paper and She whispers back to me "Oh my! Look at all the places you have been! And That handsome hero you got to marry! Along with All these sunny days you can now capture and yet you still remember me......"

No comments:

Post a Comment