Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

My First Sewing Class

In May of last year my sister-in-law and I took a sewing class together! It was truly fun to learn and create our first summer skirt! My sister-in-law is now an "A class seamstress", with her beautiful sewing room and great focus on perfection! She has created the most amazing things since those days of our first intro class. NOW I on the other hand, am NOT a perfectionist! (sometimes wish I was) My sewing setup isn't as grand. But I have come to like my differently sewn things....(For where else would you get a ribbon slanted bed skirt? or a uneven zipper? HA! Debby must have sewn that them! YUP! SEE that is more like ME! Hmmm my sewing is... well very....Unique? hahahahahahaha
I can live with it for now,  I Love shopping in the fabric stores like Caledonia Fine Fabrics.
In Caledonia where we had our sewing class, the fun of mixed patterns and laces really makes the afternoon hours fly by as you take in all the many colors and choices! Last spring I enjoyed listening and taking in all these new things about sewing again. For growing up my mother sewed and knew these things about this amazing talent. I didn't pay attention very well as she let me play on her sewing machine, I couldn't make the items like she could so I gave up! Now I did laugh when I sat down again in front of my sewing machine for that beginner class, only to discover phantom habits of where the controls were on my mother's sewing machine. My instructor asked "What are you doing?" Without paying attention my hand moves to the back of the machine for I was in the wrong place to move up and down the "Foot" of this classroom machine. I realized that somewhere in me there are some memories of how a sewing machine works, it truly made me laugh! For my mother's sewing machine is auto fixed in my brain, sadly though her great talents are NOT!
I like to spend some time in another fabric store not far from my home called, Hancock Fabrics.  It is the very store Grandma Wilson and I got my wedding dress stuff, For there isn't a more amazing seamstress like Grandma Beth! (Sometimes I tried to think of ways to wear my wedding dress again for the wonderful comfort of it all! Grandma did a perfect job on it) Sewing is a good thing to know, it is even better when you sew right the first time, augh! I am sure after I practice more and take my time....I will do much better! 

Of course I have noticed while I am writing that I will think to myself "I should go play with my sewing machine this afternoon, practice and create something..." Then my writing continues on and I forget:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment