Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2011

Goldys

I enjoy eating breakfast in this cute cozy little cafe downtown Boise Idaho. It's has a light fixture in the middle of the restaurant that feels very Harry Potter-ish, Light bulbs with wings to each one going in every direction. Goldys, a lovely place to have breakfast and sit with a good friend. One of my friends who loved this place too, is Bethany. Even though she has moved away now, I am hoping to meet back up with her here again in the future, in the "someday" of our plans. We use to enjoy those long winter mornings tucked away in Goldy's, or afterwords walk around outside downtown in those fresh new spring and summer days! This is a perfect place for girls like us in our skirts and scarfs to meet. We could eat a hearty breakfast or have simply a cup of fresh fruit. While this small cafe is always busy, always crowded and even though there isn't a waiting room, people will stand outside in line because it's so yummy to eat here! (My husband isn't a fan of how tight tables and chairs are, he usually changes his mind about going here for breakfast.) That is why I think of Goldy's as being more of a place to catch up with girlfriends, a place where I happily run up hugging Bethany as we enter the cozy place together!

"Are you alright?" I asked across the table as we sat up in the balcony of this noisy cafe, Bethany looked worried, then she shrugged. Now our friendship went back in time, back to when we were just kids, attending the same church. Her sister was one my beloved friends, so in many ways I had always thought of Bethany as my own little sister too. Then over the last 4 years we were reconnected again. It happened just after the first of the year 2007, we had literally bumped into each other! The moment she smiled I was thrilled to know her, she had grown up into such a lovely lady. Surprisingly we were instantly friends again! I thought it was so refreshing to be around someone who lived with unconditional love, and yet we remembered that other life time we shared. 
Bethany and I sat at Goldy's when she replied "I'm not sure....a part of me just wants to get married and another part knows I should finish college." I smiled nodding, I had thought it was getting close to when she would be ready to marry this sweet guy she talked about often. I enjoyed all the excitement and sparks of young love, as she clearly bloomed with happiness. We had walked for miles talking about all of these things next the Boise river on the green belt. We also had lazy afternoon picnics by the pond watching people paddle boat by, as we looked over a stack of magazines for decorating ideas and dresses. As much as I knew I would miss her once she married and moved away, I was still so happy for her with no doubt we would always be friends. I replied back "What I have learned in my own life, is once you are married everything gets better because you are now a "team", Suddenly you aren't so alone in finishing school or saving money...because NOW you have a best friend who will encourage you to reach these individual goals, and create the family you would like. On the other hand, if you wait...you can stay focused on your own life." I listened as Bethany explain these big choices she had to make, I explained that for Tony and me dating 4 years was a perfect amount of time for us, yet once we were actually married everything came together perfectly and we knew we actually belonged. THAT feeling and understanding gave us a better setup to reach our goals and dreams. Bethany smiled as she said "I like how you believe in "Happily Ever After", and that no matter what I decide, you will still be my friend." I held up my coffee with a grin in reply "YUP no matter what, I am here! And I also know that wonderful things lay ahead for you!"

A sweet adorable place like Goldy's where friends meet and yummy pastries crumble on their plates over steaming coffee and teas, can't be replace so easily. Maybe it's really the people who create such a nostalgic memory? Yet...it has to start with an actual place, a place JUST like Goldy's, waiting there for them to return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment