Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Book Review "Sarah's Key"

For the BCB, (Book Club Bitches) this year has been fun in sharing a book once a month. I have made it to every meeting and discovered reading books that are out of my comfort zone has been good for me too! (Not all stories can be about Dogs and happy endings hahahaha) I was able to share my favorite author, Jon Katz and his novel "Rose in a Storm" in this book club. I still prefer my dog/farm stories, just being made aware of all the different novels and different emotions in these other books was good. Most of our group slowly dropped off, these kind of groups usually do. We ended up becoming a comfortable handful of friends. I had first worried this book club would be a power struggle of some very strong willed women, then I worried it would be a showy event of computations as sometimes women can be judging. I have wondered for such a long time why some Women do not feel comfortable around other women, or why do some women attack and hurt each other? As I have grown up I have come to realize I don't fit into most women circles and had my doubts about the beginning of this book club. I LOVE being girlie, having kindred spirits in other girlie friends makes it even more special. I just wish I could answer my own questions about women in our society, what drives them to play games or be mean? I believe we have just as much ability to do good and be that everlasting friend! In our Book club, we read "Sarah's Key", it was a powerful story about the Holocaust, this shares how in Paris the Jews were taken from their homes. Sarah is a young girl, who tries to protect her little brother, she doesn't realize such a choice as that will follow her through out the rest of her life. This book has that style of modern day lives followed up with flash backs. I use to protest this style of writing because I connected to one part of the story first, I hated being "Interrupted" for the second story line. One time I read a book like this and ONLY read the captures of the first story then went back and read the other chapters I had skipped of the second story. My Mother-in-law thought that was a crazy way to read the book. In discussing "Sarah's Key" We sat outside on the first warm day this spring. This was Betty Jo's home, full of her artistic nature this cottage was simply adorable! I loved every room and every corner of it! Even before I had parked my car pulling up I knew this was going to be a beautiful place to meet, Betty Jo has been a life long friend with my Mother-in-law JoAnne and I could see clearly their shared artistic natures and humor. As I watched them laugh and visit, I felt so lucky to be apart of this book club and a part of their lives! For Betty Jo made personal onion soups with sweet caramelized onion and croutons, along with cute personalized quiches and red wine. We had a bowl of melted chocolate to dip our strawberries into on that warm spring evening. We laughed and shared our thoughts about this important book, as we welcomed in the fresh new spring on that cozy patio, we wondered if we would ever be surprise again if soldiers began rounding up our neighborhood children and how important it is to let your kids know what is going on in the world for their safety. We got teary eyed, we shared and we discussed. It was one of the best book discussions ever! I left the evening feeling so happy to of had such a good time with delightful women and how I will always be willing to put myself out there for a new friend and even most importantly to give all women a place of refuge with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment