Search This Blog

Sunday, May 22, 2011

My Cup of Coffee

In my mornings I look forward to the process of making coffee. It is refreshing to get up with the steaming warm liquid. It is almost like a meditation, the fresh smell of whole beans grinding in the air, along with the soft sound of heated water on the stove. The few minuets passing as the coffee grounds meets the hot water in a stainless steel french press! Ah YES it is truly morning by this very simple routine! My french press has been with me almost 7 years now and still working perfectly, (I had to learn the hard way after several broke at first, that investing in good quality is well worth it) Also my espresso machine allows me to therapeutically steam perfect foam. and I LOVE my lattes too!

My roommate was sitting in the farthest booth at the Flying J truck stop at 1 am as I found her there among her college text books laying out, "I am glad you left a note so I could find you!" I exclaim as I slid into the worn old seat across from her, as she flicked her cigarette into the ash tray. She smiled and rubbed her eyes with her other hand as I turned my coffee mug over, It was that historic brown pottery mug. I liked those style because it reminded me of my Papa Rudy and my father drinking from those same kind of mugs when I was a kid. My roommate stop me in mid-action "It taste like dirty ass by the way." I looked surprised as she said this to me then I replied "What does? The coffee? Do you eat a lot of ass to know this?" She chuckled and winked  as my hand went up to stop her realizing I had maybe opened myself up for to much info. Then I choked and tried not to laugh as the coffee hit my throat like motor oil. I had not taken her advice and really wanted some warm coffee as we sat there late into the night or early morning depending on how we looked at it. My roommate handed me a new lit cigarette as I stared in horror at the black stuff in my mug, "What the fuck is this stuff? Did they just scrape it off one of those semi trucks out there?" It was definitely the worse tasting coffee of my whole life! She didn't miss a beat as I took the new smoking ciggy from her hand, She explained "This will help the coffee taste better, I have learned." My roommate was a cynic, always playing it "cool" and she also felt that since I was a sheltered child, I needed helpful advice now. So I gave it a try, with a few puffs on the cigarette then sips of coffee I was in awe! "Wow! what a combination! smoking... then... drinking coffee!! They actually really complement each other, don't they? a smoky rusty flavor! Wow I will remember this for next time!" My roommate glanced around with a smirk in her dry humor sarcastic voice saying "YOU really need to get out more." I sat back nodding and thinking about how true that was. Over time I found that good coffee doesn't need any kind of companion with it, as long as it is brewed correctly.  So I don't smoke anymore as the fresh air helps start the fresh new day off right!

1 comment:

  1. Cigarettes and coffee are a nice combination though. Especially clove cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete