Search This Blog

Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Book Review, "Dog Days" by Jon Katz

When I think of a wonderful place to discover through the power of reading! I think of "Dog Days" by Jon Katz, for in this book I came to love his farm Bedlam Farms as if it was my own personal farm to visit time and again through the open pages and escape he created for his readers! The passion in how he loves dogs and respects them, how he sees the structure of his farm, how each person in his life is just as important as each dog with their own personality and time. I loved how he discovered Izzy! (Both The story of Izzy, and the story of Rose, the other hard working boarder collie on his farm, can take you right into a place of your own heart and your own memories of the dogs you have also loved!) Jon writes with such honesty and love for his dogs. When he captures the surroundings of his farm from the flower gardens to the barns. From the mysterious cats to the goofy sheep that he keeps around to work his dogs, Bedlam Farm is the first place I found that I belonged, in my mind's eye and heart I am happiest when I am there through these pages of the book! I can see my own life moving in this same direction. I feel like Jon Katz says exactly what I am thinking or feeling when he writes and shares his life. Ever since the day I read this book I learned how to returned to my old childhood desire to be a writer, to be as real and as honest in my life like when I was 10 years old.When I held my notebook in my lap writing all I saw around me as I leaned against my very first dog Savannah. This book brought me back to that moment again as the summer sunshine warmed my heart while I stated out loud to my big old dog   "I want to be a writer..."

No comments:

Post a Comment