Search This Blog

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Hotel Rwanda (A Movie Review)

When I think of Rwanda, when back in 1994 the horrific genocide took place and I was 15 years old. I didn't know about this at the time, yet I still FEEL responsible as I became a part of the rest of the world who turned their backs or didn't care about this civil unrest and hatred while it exploded. When this movie came out in 2004 I felt truly stupid realizing I had NOT been aware at the time! So I vowed to NEVER just "not know" about the world around me anymore. I want to live my life as a peace maker, I will try to be in a position in the future to help out in some way. Hopefully, we have ALL learned from Rwanda, even though we said that we had learned from the Holocaust, Rwanda still happened. I want to believe we are changing as a whole nation as we learn. Yet I don't think most new generations can remember these tragic stories, unless those who have seen and heard can reminded them. This is why I am doing this movie review because it is NOT just a movie, it was apart of our very own lives. We lived comfortably in this wealthy nation, I personally believe that we should of felt the instant their blood splashed onto the earth, we should have woke in the middle of the night by their screams and ran to the rescue! For it's not just one nation against another, WE as the people who are currently living in this world should feel connected and responsible for each other. I believe there is a deeper connection to each of us, that really no one is a stranger. Will we forget? Will we repeat history time after time? Will we not care or try to help?  I have heard from people I know say "IF it doesn't effect my life I don't care, I don't want to waste my energy." I think when I have heard this, (And it doesn't come from just one person, for many people feel this way) 
I am filled with sadness by this phrase. Not everyone will want to help or be connected to others, I can not force that deeper calling in them. So when I share my grief, my heart's desire to help a hurting world..I realize I have to start with these people in my own society. Compassion grows from the home out into the rest of the world. I know I can be apart of the solution not the problem. I will never give up sharing what I feel and what I have learned:-) People can create their own lives, decide to war against another or walk with peace. In the movie Hotel Rwanda I loved how it seemed like one man can make a difference, often people don't want to be that one person. I am willing to learn how to rescue and protect those around me. This is a remarkable story, this is a time in our history where we wondered the deep question "What am I made of?" and What can we do together to help each other remember that.....
THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR ONE MORE!

No comments:

Post a Comment