Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Oprah, My Oprah!

It is a sad day to say goodbye to the Oprah show, When it came to my connection to pop culture before the magical Google option. I would watch OPRAH for the insightful perspective. I loved her real honest smile on the TV screen. How she conducted herself with confidence and thoughtfulness. In my eyes she was beautiful before she lost all that weight even! She was vibrant and visually approachable on screen. I knew she didn't know me at all but I looked forward to watching her at 4pm every afternoon. In her 2002 Oscar dress I stared in awe by her beauty, by her soft chocolate skin, for she had such genuine happiness! (I took that very style of dress for my own wedding dress, I felt like she had my very same shoulders and wide chest.) She said on her show that real women REALLY do have curves. She had to become comfortable in her own skin right there on TV. Not everyone was going to like her, I am glad that I did! Oprah became part of the afternoon background noise at the family own cafe I worked for. These shows were discussed at my mother-in-laws BBQ dinners, when she would start by asking "Did you watch Oprah today?...." And I loved arriving ready to discuss the latest show or topic. Sometimes when I would hear myself saying "Well now Oprah says white pants are making a come back, a very popular look for spring." I would chuckle to myself, As if I even knew ANYTHING about style or new looks for the season! That is just what Oprah did for being apart of every day life and bringing us all together to watch her. Mama Jojo would be calling me on my cell phone as I glanced at the clock with alarm while I answered her explaining quickly "I almost forgot! I am turning it on right now!" Mom laughed excitedly as she replied "It is SO GOOD! I thought of YOU right away for you would LOVE this job of "make overs" for a bedroom or living room, Quick! the commercials are almost over, gotta go, bye!" Mama Jojo was never one for a long goodbye on the phone. I would then sit focused on the TV screen with her same excitement over Oprah's new topics. When the hurricane Katrina hit and Oprah did her very special report I found myself curled up in my blanket on the couch crying like a baby at the suffering of all those people. I think the lessons learned and shows shared teach us about the world and how important it is to take the time to learn of someone's stories and what they went through. I believe that it takes a true sincere heart to connect to another person, it takes bravery to get up in front of everyone and be a real person. To give honestly apart of yourself to the others around you. Oprah had what it takes And she did an amazingly great job!


So with a bittersweet feeling, I say GOODBYE Oprah and THANK YOU for sharing your advice, your life and your love with us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment