Search This Blog

Friday, May 20, 2011

A Book Review, "A Dog Year" by Jon Katz

When I began my collection of Jon Katz books, I read this book in only 2 days! Maybe that was the fastest time I have ever read before! From the moment I bought it to sitting in a coffee shop that same early morning right in front of a cozy warm fire place in Boise's new BoDo area. I was captivated by pages as they took me away to the previous life Jon had lived before his bedlam farm spirit! This book talks about how he took a sudden risk and changed his whole life by one struggling Boarder Collie Dog! Devon who is later named Orson after his transformation into Jon's life. And the personal growth of Jon into Orson's life makes me realize I am meant for such a life also! I have always loved my dogs but now I see it clearly as a calling from my very soul of who I am, of who I always was and who I want to be even better! This book talked about Jon's perfect dogs, the golden labs named Standley and Julius. I loved those dogs so much, for they were so calm as they could walk through the neighborhood off lease, they never ran away. I liked how they cuddled and loved so gently. My heart didn't let go of the fact I needed a lab in my own life, I know that I have the energy for any dog, I think that not having children or any distractions is why I can feel such bountiful energy. In this book I was apart of the how Bedlam Farm got started, Jon's blog is a great boost to read before racing off to work and I have loved Boarder Collies my whole life even though I have never had one of my own. As a small child I remember once my family went to some kind of sheep festival out in the country, I remember being in awe at the herding power of this breed of dogs!  
I felt like Jon Katz captured his experiences perfectly in this story, I also felt like the possibilities are endless! Maybe just maybe my own Boarder Collies and farm awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment