Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Sidda Lee Shively

              In April of 2011 I was dog sitting Sidda for my sister-in-law's sister as she was moving and caring for her new baby boy. In the times that Sidda came to stay with me my Oscar was truly devoted to her. He had learned in his days at the dog park that big dogs were bulldozers so he would prefer the calmer little dogs more, he even put himself between such big bouncy dogs and little nervous pups. Oscar and I played at the park twice a day so Sidda join us in her happy natural way staying right beside me as Oscar ran out for his ball or Frisbee, she had no interest in his toys yet she did love to run frenzy with him and he would lay down on his belly to be at her level face to face as they rubbed noses and licked each other occasionally. I noticed that they were the very same colors, Oscar was mostly black with a white chest and paws, Sidda was mostly white with black spots. They were instantly trusting of each other that in those almost 9 years together they have never once had a fight.

Oscar at 19 pounds and Sidda at 9, made them stand side by side a head apart I could snap my fingers once then they both sat down in place. We cuddled in bed so naturally that I am still struggling at night and especially in the mornings with out my sweet little girl with big brown eyes to greet me. Sidda didn't take long adjusting to her new life with small pet beds every where, with blankets and pillows where ever she wanted. My husband would joke "Sidda is giving me that certain look of judgement again because I am making noise and she walks away with a discussed snort like I better ask Mommy before I continue on...." I laughed and nodded in the truth that Sidda had a hard time trusting men for the first few years living with us, while a guy made go to touch her or talk to her it was her eyes on me the whole time that I noticed she was a dog who loved women more,
My husband often joked that I created a utopia, a "to good of a home" life that made Sidda hate the dog parks or even hated getting out of the car, she loved watching everything from the back seat and in truth she loved just staying home as mush as possible. She surprised us after week in being apart of our family she barked while we drove down the road and it scared us to death! She had never barked before so when she did it sounded like that of a Great Dane, so loud, so strong and so deep! Oscar shot up in alarm barking away as schnauzers do....while Sidda sat back letting Oscar take charge of our protection! My husband had spilled his coffee in that moment while I laughed fully still driving and glances back at how proud Sidda was to alert a napping Oscar to our car ride adventures! My husband exclaimed "What the hell was THAT!?!?! How can a tiny thing like her have such deep lungs???" Sidda realized after that her one single loud bark would bring the focus of her companies like Oscar and eventually Minnie to her side in their crazy barking and protesting, their sudden awareness of dangers first came from that one small dog who liked laying in places she could watch over everything, while staying safe and never having to keep barking. 
She was the sweetest dog I had ever met and very clever too!

My husband said as we drove home Friday in silent shock "She was the kind of dog that always seemed to know exactly what was going on."  I smiled proudly and nodded.
For I had just held Sidda to the very end, never cracking my voice in speaking to her directly. 
She left this world with me talking on and on as I always have in a voice she has always felt peaceful with. 
"Thank you Sweet Sidda, thank you for being the best part of our family always being so good, You sure were such a happy girl the day you came to live with us, Remember how you slept those first nights on my shoulder into my neck because you were not so sure of how our schedule went. You were such a clever girl so smart and so sweet in all things you gave us all your very best self my dear, I hope you go find my brother he really like you, he even joked that you are way to cute for just being a dog so go dance with Riley again and nap next to Minnie because you deserve the very best after life from being the best dog in this one. I will always be in awe of my baby girl, my truly kind always nice to everyone and everything Sweet Sidda Lee."
Her soft little body went so very heavy as the vet checked her heart saying "She's gone, you guys are very loving pet owners, I'm sorry for your loss and she isn't suffering anymore." My husband nodded explaining "We would never want her to suffer, thank you."
I thought of how I carried her through out my days all the time without thinking of it, even grabbing the mail with her in my arms or putting laundry away with her head on my shoulder. I understand that her almost 16 year old self was tired of such a great life in the sun light, in the warm blankets of winter and the cuddling days of rain. I was able to give her such a safe place to live while she gave me such a happy home to share!

My husband chuckled "Remember that night she came and got me like an episode of Lassie, she came right in to me and pawed my legs to get up and get outside to help you with the cornered Racoon! She was so alarmed and upset by it that she knew I had to be notified right away as a family we were under attack! She had that "All hands on deck!" mission, that's when I realized she is a very smart dog. She even let me go out the back door first as she watched on in worry as to what you and Oscar were dealing with! All that commotion was alarming as we're such a quiet, peaceful home usually.....she sure needed me that night to come help you! Ya know for being a Little dog she had such a big heart loving everyone even the cats!"

Sweet Sidda sure made my life so wonderful even in my darkest of days.....
Her morning snuggles and dances for treats will always be remembered as so adorable and so important for celebrating life in all things, in that true classy Sidda style!

I got down on my knees to find her in the open crate beside my bed, as I kissed her good night saying "Sweet dreams, Sweet girl." not realizing that was going to be her last night by my side.....



No comments:

Post a Comment