Search This Blog

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rollerskating

On the fourth Thursday of every month was the Homeschooling rollerskating time, from 10am to noon we got to roller skate with our friends. THIS was usually the only social event we had with other people outside of our church events. I would wake up so early on this one day to have as much time with our friends as possible! I LOVED rollerskating! I had learned when I was about 6 years old. I could skate backwards, I would stand completely still on those wheels or my most favorite thing was bending down to my ankles rolling low under people. I joined the swinging line of kids skating around the corners holding hands and fly off at the end, the chasing games and the "Couples" skate that had a disco ball to the "Beauty and the BEAST" song. That song was usually at the end and I loved it the most! I loved gliding with the music in the dark of the disco lights thinking sadly I had to wait another month to come back again. My beloved Friend Tiffany and I loved skating together for "Couples" time. The Disney movie "Beauty and the Beast" had come out just as we both hit those teen years, so that song was one of our favorites during skating. I loved letting my arms flow out and in as I listened to the peaceful music as the room sparkled with lights. Rollerskating was a big part of my childhood, I had first learned how to skate at Boise's Skate World during those early homeschooling days. Then by the time I was a teenager we went skating into Nampa at the Roller Dome. The last time I went rollerskating was actually just 10 years ago, when I was skating along side my younger brothers. I realized it was just like riding a bike, it all came back again as those skates held my weight.
When we went once a month to skate as a kid I loved my group of friends and loved to cheer them on during the races, I liked goofing off when I raced because I didn't care if I actually won or not. I enjoyed waving at my friends and hitting those high fives from all the cheering. When those rollerskating days came I always looked out for that lonely kid to join my group and feel included as I happily introduce them to other kids I knew. I had come to the conclusion very young that I was a geeky person maybe even for life, so anyone else who was rejected or lonely also could feel welcomed around me. I enjoyed everything about skating, but it was my friends that I learned so much from in socializing and communicating. I was really young when I had worried so much about being left out or rejected that through all those times I came to find ways in how to except myself as I grew older. Then I felt that it was my job to be there to encourage and support others who were hurt. So as those roller skates slipped on my feet I felt like I was transformed into such happiness, such joy and simply proud to be just me. While I was giving out hugs and high fives I knew I was right where I was meant to be and my wheels rolled on!

No comments:

Post a Comment