Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Open Road

It was calling my name the open road, the highway, the freeway, the country side and that beautiful sky! The wind was moving, the world was beautiful! And I had to answer the call for adventure, I had to just take a brake from everything and be with myself, be with my own thoughts inspired by the fall season and gorgeous colors out there! Now before I just jumped into my car. Before I just took off on the highway, I had everything serviced and tires rotated so my vehicle could step up to the challenge, I always took special care of my car. I knew it was by far most important thing I owned. That little white four door geo metro became my trusted ride. With light gray interior the car was spotless, smelling like vanilla (Though I would not allow an air freshener to be seen from any window:-]) My car and I were like a hand and glove, I knew if my car wasn't in shape then I couldn't take any of my road trips. My roommates loved my car because there was room for us all to ride around together. When the day came I felt it in the air, I wasn't actually sure when but I knew I was going the first chance I got.....I was answering the call of the open road!
It was 6am as the sun was braking through the sky, I could not deny my need to find that open road! With my back pack, my pillow and blanket laying in the backseat I drove on. I stopped at my favorite coffee stop for my breakfast and a hot creamy mocha. It was such a crisp clear fall Friday morning as I drove out of town! I loved being 22 years old, I loved living in my own place and having my own choices to make. Do I go or do I stay?  I smiled happily to myself, for I knew the answer was.....I GO!!!
Driving from Caldwell Idaho to Salem Oregon wasn't a new trail, I had averaged out 3 trips a year to see my best friend Joanie since she started attending college there. Though this particular road trip wasn't planned, I also went all by myself. I called my boyfriend from the highway on my cell phone, He had still been sleeping but now he was going to worry over me traveling like that. I realized as soon as I would make it there I had to call him back so he didn't worry all night. I loved that first cell phone of mine just like I loved my very own first car. It gave me such freedom! "Good Morning Babe! Guess where I am?" His voice sounded hoarse as he replied "Where?" I chuckled "I am passing through Baker city right now." He exclaimed "YOU ARE WHAT?!" I described the landscaping and my cell phone cut out. I called him back as soon as I could, My sweet boyfriend didn't want me to travel all alone, but I got out early so I had all that day light on my side. I wasn't stupid, as a young woman I knew not to stop off at a rest area or go off on some alley street. Instead every gas station I stopped at I kept to the place and visited with people working there. I realized when I passed through The Dallas that I should of gotten a map. But I found my way via my memory and the help of a cherry coke. My boyfriend was so surprised I was gone and called me through out my driving day, I was having a great time in that fall sun light and I took in all the changing wonderful colors. I found that I also talked to myself out loud when I am all alone too. If I found a radio station to sing to I did that for awhile also. There is something just FUN about singing to the top of your lungs with no one around to judge you if you messed up or sound bad:-)
It was just as I left Pendleton that my father called me, How odd it was for he NEVER called me! He started off  "Did I wake you?" I shook my head at his sarcastic voice, "Nope." I replied then waited. He said "How is the job hunting going?" I replied "I got a job at a gift shop I start next week." He sounded surprise "Wow that was fast I was thinking you would just be sleeping in until your money ran out." I chuckled at how my father viewed me still in bed when he called  "Nope I got a job, and now I am half way to Portland." my father exclaimed "You are WHAT?" I liked not telling anyone I was going on that road trip, until I was already gone! It was funny how surprised everyone was when I told them. I loved road trips and I talked about them all the time! But this time it was extra special for me and my own time. I drove along happily knowing it was just a weekend trip to see my best friend but it was also something deeper for me, I was moving forward in my new life and on that beautiful open road!

No comments:

Post a Comment