Search This Blog

Sunday, July 3, 2011

My Tiny Trailer

It was in the summer of 1989 when I was 10 years old and we moved for the second time in my life. The first time I was 3 years old missing my sand box so much! Then this summer brought our adventures camping out on the orchard farms of our grandparents. I remember when Mom took us back to the trailer house to get our final things, I stood in my old bedroom that was bigger in my memory as I suddenly felt like a giant! I said out loud "WHAT HAPPENED?!?" Mom looked alarmed at me as She asked "What do you mean?" I explained with a confused frown, "This whole place has shrunk!" I said with my arms out touching both sides of my bedroom walls for the first time. Mom giggled realizing what I was talking about, "OoooH I thought something was broken or ruined, Debby Dear YOU grew quite a bit this summer. So naturally this place would seem smaller to you." I walked around bewildered at my old bedroom that my sister and I shared, I felt like a freak! How did I get so big in only a summer season? I wondered to myself. I walked around commenting on this or that had changed, Mom chuckled back over her shoulder as we hauled boxes to the car "That is why we are moving, imagine when y'all are teenagers this whole place would be VERY crowded." I stood for a moment longer looking at my empty old bedroom in awe that it was the tiniest room I had ever seen! I had thought it would be sad to say "Goodbye" to this home of my first 10 years. I realized that moving on is symbolic to change, I could clearly see how I had changed, for I had left this bedroom with everything big and familiar only to return not wanting stay. Now I realized I did not want to be so crowded....saying goodbye was very easy to me after all! Because I was saying "hello" to the new farm life and wide open spaces.....something our tiny trailer couldn't compete with anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment