Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

"Debby has no Shame"

When I was 16 years old my brother Dougie was born and my mom spent sometime in bed afterwards. It was a strange time to not have my mom up and about cooking and cleaning how she does....When Davey told me the other day as we sat together in the ICU watching our mother sleep, he said it was strange to not have Mom running through the house to pick things up and now he realized HE had to pick those things up from now on. I wondered if I could of had such a fast sense of responsibility like Davey when I was 12 years old? Then suddenly I remembered When mom was stuck in bed awhile, how I did take over cleaning the house and when it came to cooking I was at such a lost, it was no secret my mother was a good cook but taking the time to teach that talent or trait hadn't occurred to her as she was use to doing it all. Then our church family brought us dinners for a few days I was in such awe of this kindness that I kept happily looking forward to dinner time back then with such happy excitement! Not only did I not have to cook and struggle with myself in the kitchen of my mom's comfort zone, but there was a wide variety of different foods I hadn't ever tried before.....it all changed when my father realized we were serving dinner from other family friends. He said "We have 2 teenaged daughters in this family there is no reason to make other people serve us dinners." Mom was giggling as she said "Well, Debby has no shame." I stood there wondering why I should be shameful? It stayed with me a long while to process how suddenly those meals ended and how I tried not to burn the house down from my horrid cooking....I realized that I was glad to not have shame, I liked knowing there where people out there willing to help and be around when our own personal family was not in full function. So last week after my mother's stroke I was on the phone with her friends who said they are waiting in line to bring meals at a moment's noticed and I smiled proudly thinking I truly still do not have any shame in asking for help....asking for help is the first step in being able to heal and survive, for we are never really all alone.

1 comment: