Search This Blog

Sunday, June 12, 2011

The Written Word

The written word is almost like discovering some historical treasure. We are coming to a time in history when books began to digitally replace a physical object. I am known for my protesting ALL things new in the technology world. Even though I have read from a borrowed Kendall, AND it wasn't bad, it wasn't my "cup of tea" actually. Now I enjoy the occasional auto book, especially on my road trips. Yet my heart is very connected to a simple book! I don't care how popular the new ways of publishing have become. I want my home always have walls full of real books. I love not running "Out of battery" when I am reading. Once when my husband and I were staying at "The Nines" in Portland Oregon, I wasn't paying attention as I read my book in bed with my sleeping dog resting on my leg. We were truly peaceful in our space.We were happy in our marshmallow bedding, as My husband had a TV issue, he wanted to watch a movie only to have instant problems with the system. Even along with the help of a repair guy the movie wasn't working and the it was all so loud! When TV came in and out, my dog and I jumped 10 feet in the air and grabbed on to each other startled after our peaceful reading time. I was thinking "Give me REAL pages of a story...I don't need any volume adjustment here." :-) It was an interesting night for my husband because his movie cut in and out with high sound then no sound. He was frustrated so he gave up by the 4th visit of the repair man. Then he came to bed saying he should have just read his book after all. I agreed! Now I am not against TV, movies or any noisy entertainment but there are very important moments in our lives where being still, being silent and reading the Written Word can NOT be replaced. For it comes from such a deep place in our mind and soul this decision to read and seek out peaceful moments of our imaginations:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment