Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

BIG LOVE a tv series review

It is amazing to me that when the HBO TV drama show "BIG LOVE" started up in March 2006, I truly HATED it! I not only watched the first four episodes but I disliked it so much that I vowed never to watch it again! I was uncomfortable with the whole idea of Mormon polygamy. This drama has a man named Bill Henrickson played by Bill Paxton (which is why it caught my eye to begin with, he is a good actor) who has 3 wives, one named Barbra he is married to for 20 years and the other he took on as a second wife named Nikki  from the compound of his childhood. And then a young 3rd wife Margie who is still learning about his religion.  Even Oprah got on board with the Polygamist culture on her show talking about what it is and how it works in modern culture also. Then suddenly I became a big fan of BIG LOVE....I also realized I should not be so quick to judge other people's lives:-{ Now it can be hard when they are so greatly different from my own, I want to work on that in myself, how can I see through other eyes in their lives? maybe that is why I like this show now? I know for myself that sharing my husband would simply NOT WORK for me and I also understand that I am thinking about it differently then if I was "Called by God" to sacrifice my selfishness in order to share. When you put GOD into these kind of demands some people will be eager to obey no questions asked. I began to watch this show again because I loved the women coming together to help each other while the drama unfolded. I am NOT saying this is right, living with multiple wives....(even though it was common practice in the old testament of the bible) I am not looking to say if it is right or wrong anymore...Because I have realized in myself this quick need to judge others needs to change. If a group of women love the same man and want to share a family together then it is their right and freedom to do so. I began to ask myself while watching these episodes, Why is it that when a family isn't made up in the "common structure" (one man and one women with kids) that these other different families get teased or hated? Each person has the same feelings and the same need for respect. This show really got me thinking through my own ideas of family. One thing I can say for sure is that Life and family really isn't so simple to understand after all...
 (I love this theme song by the way for it is mystical, very much like life in general)

No comments:

Post a Comment