Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Swimming with Sara

I was sitting comfortably in a old deep chair at the coffee shop in down town Boise Idaho. I was waiting for my old friend who I hadn't seen in almost 8 years. Sweet sparkling Sara, the girl has shinning blond hair and a long happy laugh. She was in town for the holidays and I was looking forward to catching up with her again. Maybe Facebook is the closest way we will keep in touch. When she didn't show up, I realized I didn't have her phone number with me either. I wasn't bored, I was just knitting my scarf and visiting with a couple of older ladies who loved my growing colorful scarf. I sat for a couple of hours in that morning sun light thinking about my friend. She has always been vibrant, planning her days so full of things to do. Maybe she forgot or lost my phone number too. It didn't matter to me why she never showed up, I am a happy morning person that waiting around doesn't bother me, especially with that beautiful sunshine covering the cold winter morning in the comfort of a coffee shop. I simply sat there happily remembering my friend Sara.

The sudden splash against my head made me jump as I was swimming, "What the hell was that?" I said standing up in the pool, Sara squealed as she jumped off the diving board. I held up her wet bathing suit that had hit me in the side of the side of my head "OH MY GOD!" I squealed back at her. I realized she was naked as I threw her wet suit up on the side of the pool. This was her neighbors house across the street, Sara was house sitting. I was also sleeping over, so we went swimming at midnight, just because we were simply looking for adventure (Sara was always looking for an adventure). "THAT was awesome! Why don't people swim naked more often? it's WONDERFUL!" Sara said as she swam around I stared at her in shock. "I can't believe YOU!" I protested, Sara retorted "WHY? haven't you ever seen a naked woman before? hahahahaha." She laughed as I rolled my eyes "Noooo I see my own naked self all the time, and I don't get it....My body is NOT for display that is all I am going to say!" I waved my hand out again in protest. Sara stop walking to the diving board looking at me while shaking her head. She was both skinny and curvy, she had such self confidence as she stood there fully naked and shaking her head at me. I had to put my hand up to protect myself from all of her skin as I said "I can't look at you while I am talking because I feel like I shouldn't be SEEING this!" Sara held out her arms proudily laughing "What's wrong with THIS?" I was laughing so much while thinking "My friend is crazy."  Sara walked over to me as I looked around whispering to her "Come on Sara, put your suit back on! what if someone sees you swimming naked! Come on put this back on!" Sara smiled down at me while turning up her cd player with "No Doubt" playing, "Nope, not wearing that thing! I love swimming naked, I think I will always swim this way from now on." I nodded again rolling my eyes sarcastically replying "I am SURE your mom will LOVE that!" Sara was about to jump again when she stopped to demand "Take yours off!" I squealed out "Fuck No!" She bantered back "Fuck yes! If you don't, I will swim over there and take it off myself!" I moaned "Oh god you would too!" She laughed and I quickly explained "I don't have a barbie doll body like you! I can't even really look at myself naked very long, I have way more fat and skin that is NOT to be exposed." I thought maybe with my argument, she would understand. But instead she just kept shaking her head at me replying "Lame, lame, lame....You have a beautiful body that you should be proud of! Take your suit off! Be Proud! In 1, 2, 3, I am coming to get that suit!" She splashed through the water as I scrambled out of the pool as fast as I could giggling. By the time I reach the diving board myself, I was naked too! I stood out there with my arms out and I jumped at the cheering of Sara. The water moved in ways that swimming with a suit just doesn't allow, to my amazement my body didn't look so bad after all. My laughter was strong as I swam up to Sara, she proudly nodded her approval.
"I didn't think you ever would do it! Look at you Deb, those are boobs to be proud of!" I laughed even harder as I raced out to jump again and just before I hit the water I shouted out "FREEDOM!" (a famous line from the movie "Braveheart") Sara and I swam freely, happily into the late night. We even talked about why are we told to be ashamed of our nakedness? Sara said thoughtfully "Every one has a different shape or size body, but somehow fear keeps us from just loving the skin we are in." 
I had faced my own fear that night, about nakedness and I ended up really feeling beautiful after all. I suddenly agreed with Sara, as we both glanced up at that bright moon light, then raced each other across the pool in our creamy shinning skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment