Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas Eve 2010

My mother mentioned that my 3 brothers needed scarfs this winter, so I gladly knitted them each one for Christmas!
Of course this was just 2 weeks before Christmas eve and I have never knitted so fast in all my life! I wanted to knit my brothers favorite colors, Daren at the of age 17, likes red and so I mixed it with a bit of black yarn as well. Then next in line Dougie who is the age of 15, said his favorite color is blue. I added gray yarn to his blue yarn it's featured in the middle of this picture. Then my youngest brother Davey proudly said he likes Orange. He will be 12 years old soon and I thought brown went perfectly with his favorite orange yarn. I truly loved knitting these scarfs late into those cold winter nights! With the glow of our Christmas tree in among sitting on my bed surrounded by pillows. Even the cat and dog cuddled up next to me as I knitted happily away! I have found that while knitting if I have the radio or an auto book on it helps me maintain a good focus on what I am doing. This makes my knitting needles move with such peace. 

I was amazed by my parents home on Christmas eve 2010. When Tony and I arrived from our long drive that cold winter evening. I saw that the home was full of Christmas goodies, rows and rows of all kinds of holiday candies, cookies and plates of finger foods, of soup and fresh baked rolls even those old fashion jell-o squares (that as a kid I really liked). I truly believe it was the best holiday we had ever celebrated with them! Something I will always remember, This wonderfully good Christmas eve! My parents were both so happy and so lively with entertaining and hospitality that it made me very proud of them! They even opened their home to my sister's friends. This place was full of family, I loved watching all the children open their gifts while squealing with such excitement! I sat between my husband and my brother Derek. Derek and I were joking, laughing while  we watched the kids on the other side of the room open their gifts. My sister Dana was right out there in middle helping her kids unwrap and when they squeal she did too! This only made me laugh even more! Seeing Dana as a mother now often surprises me that I have to step back and think "WOW look at her go! she can do it all! She is Super Mom!" Dana is tall and skinny with long blond hair high cheek bones and deep dark eyes. She is animated, she is energized and she is such a good "Mama bear" to her kiddos! Her husband Phil was even there for this Christmas eve, though he is usually always working. Phil is a quiet man with a cowboy handle mustache. He truly loves my sister and his kids, I am so happy that they are such a close family. While talking with Dana among the kids all eating she will be chatting with you then suddenly yell out at one of her kids, this will cause both Tony and I jumped 10 feet in the air startled by it! But she continues on talking to you like nothing had just happened. Tony and I end up laughing together at how frighten we had just been! On this Christmas eve, everyone was there, everyone was getting along in ways I had never seen before......While each of my brothers got me a gift then watched for my reaction, I felt truly loved by it. They wore their scarfs all through the house that night, so I know they liked them. My mom loves being a Grandma, and it makes her the happiest I have ever seen! This year my mother seemed aware of everyone, there was a refreshing way about her that I adored. I watched her in how she was sharing her love and thoughtfulness around the whole room. I also noticed that my Dad was laughing long and wholeheartedly at the funny faces his 2 year old grandson would make. He seemed to notice he had company to visit with too. He was approachable, and thoughtful himself! I sat watching everything, laughing as my 3 brothers played with balls of wrapping paper, it was a fun kind of noisy. I was filled with such love for everyone, for my parents and that on this magical night it seemed like we were all a close family! 
So on that cold windy winter's night as the cozy warm glow from our childhood home showed my sister Dana laughing with her friend, Mom cutting slices of pie, the kids running around their fathers with all the new gifts. While Dad sat with his granddaughter on his lap looking over some coloring books, my brother Derek and my husband Tony joked around.  I just sat there, with one arm around my brother Dougie who sat quietly next to me as my other brothers Daren and Davey rolled around on the living room floor playing, I was thinking to myself happily that... THIS IS THE BEST Christmas eve in the history of this family.....and I can't wait to see how much better everything will be in another 10 years.....
When my father gave my husband a hug goodbye, I was so touched by the moment. I noticed the smile on Tony's face was huge and he exclaimed once we were settled in the car on our way back home "That was really something! I wasn't expecting a hug from your dad! I feel happy right now! Maybe things will get better with them after all." Tony explained while still smiling, I couldn't help but smile right back at him. The hour's drive home gave me time to reflect, how honesty is the best policy, how love can build bridges unto the future! 
So here's to Christmas eve 2010, I will remember it always from the big smile on my husband's face, to all the love and hope it made. For I know it's just the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment