Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2019

Into The Gray

       
   When I turned 30 I was around joking and saying how much I wish I looked like Rogue from X-men, with that awesome gray stripe down the front of my face for it would be a great look to enter my 30's!

Yet nothing like that happened as much as I wished for it, and I don't dye my hair. Maybe for fun I would try one day down the road I never know how playful I will feel in my 50's or 60's, I have always felt that dying is dangerous with no real proof just my gut instinct, as a small child I watched my mother dye her hair all the time, it was messy and stinking like getting a perm only in color, dark ink all over the place. My mother kept her youthful look in dying her hair all the time, but I felt like it was dangerous due to that strong chemical smell. My mother always did these things at home so she would stock up on hair dye. When she turned 40 years old my sister and I put together a surprise birthday party for her up at her mother's home for a ladies luncheon. She decide to dye her hair that same morning, it stunk up the home while I tried to hurry her without giving it away that we had a surprise for her. She dragged her feet up to her mother's home, not happy with us telling her that she had to go see her mom. Yet her jet black dark brown hair was fresh and deep rich youthful color, so I told her that Grandma wanted to see her new hair...then SURPRISE! All of her friends were there to celebrate! We were proud teenage daughters doing this special event for her 40th birthday!
I realized most of her friends dyed their hair during that luncheon afternoon, My little Grandma said to me "It's not a shameful thing growing old, you don't have to hide your gray hair if you don't want to." Then she would wink at me, for her salt and pepper hair was more pepper yet awesome looking for me.
Grandma Norma often shared how important it was to dress right for the occasion, she had shoes for different parts of her day while in town. She had a couple closets of clothes, she had a jewelry box that stood on it's own like a dresser, and perfume of every shape and size. For my Grandma never left home, never left the farm without looking good! My Mother was far more laid back in her youth, so now as she is 61 years old I can see the similar habits of looking good when leaving the farm. I was surrounded by women who confidently looked good when going to town, it has taught me the equal value in self care and being well groomed.  I don't wear make up, except for a special event like a wedding. I don't dye my hair except for a few high lights at my own wedding. I don't wear much jewelry anymore too as I think about where I want my money to go, if I am given a gift I will wear it proudly. I use to wear all the colors of rainbow with every scarf and every hat, socks and shoes that brighten up a rainy day! So I am shifting from black and gray these days to a little more color again.
Perhaps it's why I wish I had gray hair as my exciting feature, my style has always been to avoid chemicals, to stay healthy so that I don't need anything external to show my true colors.
Strangely my hair is turning gray very slowly, I wanted to look like Storm from X-men by the time I reach my 40th birthday!?!?! I guess not.... 
I thought I would go from Rogue to Storm in one decade, especially in this very bad horrible ridiculous decade of my 30's....
Turning 30 was a magical wonderful year, wish I could of stayed there for all time.
Turning 40 is deeper, rich in emotions and understanding, my awareness for this next decade isn't as exciting but it sure is appreciated by me. Growing old is where I feel at home.
Someone pointed it out that when I was just a little girl I said profound things, I liked to go off on my own and play, they wondered if I was an old soul.......
I felt like I had lived a hard life by the time I turn 20 years old, my mother was just about to burst forth a new baby too. I think I have always been planning for the future even for my parents whether they wanted to listen to me or not, I was simply born old.



No comments:

Post a Comment