Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

My Favorite Fireworks

        
      It was getting dark the heat was cooling down as everyone gathered in chairs and picnic blankets on the Caldwell Idaho's golf range. I didn't golf or even try to learn at that time, my mind was on so many other things....It was however fun to see a group of friends of all ages gather there. My life long friend Benny had been hanging out all afternoon so now we raced off from the socializing group with our beers in hand and giggling down the slop of the perfect made grass. I announced as we went arm in arm "IT'S Girls time!" Benny smiled back saying once again "Debby, you are good for my soul." We left the whole world at this moment if any guys came close I would shoo them away while Benny would laugh out loud and leaned into me more. THIS is one of my most favorite moments under the fireworks, one of my sweetest memories in a stressful time in my life......Me and My Benny Girl.
"I can't believe I am getting married tomorrow." I said in awe as I swallowed down more Alaskan Amber. (THIS was the beer of our friendship, the beer we drank and share every time we got together over the next decade.)
Benny seemed to have something on her mind all day, something she wanted to share but didn't. I felt it every so often when I caught her eye. "What? What's up?" I would ask her as she would shrug and say "Oh Nothing." Then I would wait because with my beloved friend Benny I never pushed her for information, never demanded her to tell me anything unless she wanted to. It was important to me to respect her need for privacy, if she wants to share she can trust me and I will just wait to know one day what was on her mind at the time. People would ask so many questions about her or about what we were doing as friends and I wouldn't have the answers at the ready, they would reply "Shouldn't you ask her how long she will live with you?" I would shake my head "NOPE. She's welcomed for as long as she needs and I may never actually know why, but that's just fine we are friends for life."Was always my basic reply and I got annoyed often at how people would just stare at me oddly.
"I can't believe I am getting married tomorrow." I said again as Benny nodded thoughtful side by side we sat watching the fireworks pop out in the dark sky. She replied "Especially YOU who said that marriage is old school and people can live happily ever after never getting married." I chuckled nodding "Yes I still think like that but I see this wedding as a public statement to the world that this person, my husband is very important to me and I want to be proud, be dedicated to being together."
Benny smiled and hugged me "Then it is right for you, You seem to have always thought these things through." I sighed "Oooh I often OVER think things until the subject is exhausted!" 
I caught an odd look from Benny again I exclaimed "I will not change! Just because I am getting married doesn't mean I am loosing any freedoms or who I am! I wish people would realize this and stop acting like I going off to die or to disappear!" Benny looked surprised replying "Oh no I wasn't thinking THAT, I know you Debster.....NO ONE makes you do anything against your will, you can put up with a lot, like with people calling the shots until they start calling the shots over your life then I have SEEN you burst out like one of these fireworks! YOU won't change unless you want to......I'm just amazed we are old enough to be the marrying age now! CRAZY!" I clinked my beer bottle next to hers as we cheered out towards the bright sparkling sky above us over the grand finale. That was truly one of my favorite fireworks shows EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment