Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Those Hollywood Nights

She stood there bright as the sun on that California coast when I shouted out to her "Hey Joanie wanna coke?" I had bought 2 cans of soda just in case after filling the car up with gas. Her shadow against the hot June sun light had her standing there over looking the valley below towards the ocean. With her hand over her face to block the sun's brightness I smiled happily to myself looking around as I stretch my legs, then I saw her standing out over the hills below, she stood there bright as the sun indeed this was my best friend Joanie. We had left Portland Oregon in the pouring rain only to be now noticing the Hollywood Hills ahead. "SO this is California!" I exclaimed stretching out next to Joanie handing her a soda can. "It's Cherry." I commented as Joanie rolled her eyes at me "Of course it is....did you get water bottles too?" she ask still guarding her eyes from the sun light with her hand. "YUP." I headed back to the car with the keys in hand, I had been driving since 4am and loving the sights and sound of the sun rise the soft music playing from the radio and even Joanie's slight snoring now and again. THIS is the life, the traveling life I love so much! Seeing everything for the first time and feeling so alive with the awe of it! Joanie and I laughed late into that late night's drive over the silliest things, our inside jokes and funny stories. We often hurt from such deep long laughter that one of us would usually say "Time out! I need to breath!" then our laughter would start all over again! THIS was true friendship to me, she was more like a sister back in those years (for my part she was) "Oh gross! I'm so stinky! Do you have any deodorant in your purse?" Joanie asked me once we were back on the straight highway in the car I drove steadily not even looking at her when I replied "Always." Not only did I always have a first aid kit, I had 3 different types of chap stick, deodorant and a pack of chewing gum, breath mints, dental floss, band-aids, and a mini flash light in my purse at all times. I kept a good supply of feminine protection tucked away as well since I was organized at ALL times! "What would I do without you? I really need ya to stay with me here in California...How else will I keep track of it all? YOU could be my journal writer helping me remember this time in my life!" Joanie joked and I nodded with a proud smile. I had been helping her remember over her life for a few years by now, it amazed me that even with some of the most current events in her day to day life she couldn't remember. So I would remind her each time like it was the first time she ever forgot and she would laugh happily at how I would help her. Sometimes I wasn't even with her but remembered where she said she was going when next we met up. I drove her to California worried over her forgetting classes or getting lost. I was true "Mother Hen" kind of friend, (yes a bit smothering I am sure too!) We arrived at her apartments and I unpacked her things and set her all up in her beautiful bedroom. The other girlie roommates found me to an odd ball right from the start.... because I was doing all the kind of things their mothers were doing, in fact I made friends with all the moms easily enough. I remember how I  rush out of Joanie's bedroom to greet all the new girls! I was truly excited to shake their hands and visit with their parents. I was gushing and laughing in all my introductions, I didn't realize for a good while as I chatted away with these strangers that these young girls were all glaring at me. I was being a bit to forward, my arms out for greetings, hugs and laughter even my smile stayed strong as I caught the embarrassed look Joanie shot me. I knew, I knew what it meant my time was over for now. 
It was hard to watch my best friend trying to fit in, recreating herself among these new people. She explained it to me that night as we were soaking in the hot tub "Debby, I know you won't understand this at all but no one knows me here....I can BE anyone I want! And I don't want you to say anything personal about me. Just stop acting like we are friends maybe you sit out for a while and let me get to know these girls, they defiantly do NOT like you" She had surprised me with this conversation and I scrambled out of the hot water fast realizing I was going to cry but I was determined to just take a walk in pretending like I was "cool". It was good for me to think all about what she was saying, how honest she was with me then I slowly realized we were very different people and I needed to just get home soon and let her be.
Later on that night the group of girls all piled into a mini-van to go look over Hollywood and the night life, So as I joined them I took Joanie's advice bravely, Not talking about Joanie anymore, not being so out going either. I sat in the far corner of the van wishing to not be there anymore for these girls were all going to be living together, studying together for all that summer. They were all trying to impress each other then they invited a guy to ride along. Suddenly I sat back to watch as these girls begin to really "show Off" or flirt. Then this guy seemed to like touching as many girls as he could as well. BUT when he tried to touch me, my elbow block him in one casual swing towards his face. I didn't blink as I shot him a glare, I was really sick of all these kind of games and I was just ready to leave Hollywood all together, people acted so fake all around me. When he looked surprised back at me acting all hurt by my elbow block so he couldn't touch me, Joanie explained quickly "Ooooh Debby isn't staying with us much longer.....besides she is practically married to her boyfriend." the guy's hands went up in the air as he said "No offense then." I quickly looked out the window of the moving van at that HollyWood sign in the foothills deeply grateful to know exactly who I am as a person!
Oooooh those Hollywood Hills.....

No comments:

Post a Comment