Search This Blog

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Playing Dress Up

When My Beloved Friend Tiffany turned 15 one October day, We joined in together putting our hair up and applying makeup. Tiffany's bedroom was all laces and dresses. She had a trunk full of play clothes of hats, gloves, purses and shoes! Helping along any imagination back to the days of Jane Austin. I loved my personal hand written invited to her Birthday party. It was truly unlike any party I had ever attended. These girls were helping me dress in petti-coats and shawls. With an old pearls necklace and clip on earrings I was overcome into another world of dressing up! The time getting ready was half the fun of the tea party. Tiffany's Mom helped her put this dream birthday party all together. When Jennifer, Rebekah and I received the personal invites, we were talking at church about how fun this will be. On this day it was cloudy, a bit rainy even. Once inside Tiffany's bed room we girls were giggling, talking and hugging on each other. We tried on and off dresses, we laid around in our stockings and hot curlers. It was my first thought that I really loved being a girl! I loved the flowers in the straw hats and the perfume smells! When I began putting on play makeup I remember looking in the mirror back at my 3 beloved friends lounging on the bed in everything beautiful, in everything girlie. "Oh No! Debby that is just way to much makeup! You look like you are ready for the stage!" Tiffany exclaimed as she moved closer to me. Everyone laughed including myself. For I wasn't at all use to make up. Tiffany wiped my face with warm cloth and started again. She said I was a Spring colored person, She used pinks and soft light blues. I was amazed when she was done at how natural I looked, How pretty I felt. Rebekah had been Tiffany's best friend since kindergarten so they argued over whether Rebekah was a fall or a winter person. I had never heard of these seasons in the make up line before. I was learning all kinds of new things with these beloved friends. When the four of us girls sat dressed up around the dinning room table on that cozy afternoon, Tiffany served us. The china set had steaming tea, and tiny bite sized cookies. "These are Goosh!" Exclaimed Jennifer as she held one up before putting in on her small plate, I was watching her intensely for she seemed to know how to behave at a tea party. "Goosh?" I asked her as I passed around the tea cookies. Jen smiled big and beautifully saying "It's what my family says for something adorable." When Tiffany brought out the individual salads we ate quietly and carefully. Then Rebekah and Tiffany burst out laughing at once. Rebekah explained "It's so quiet! hahahahaha! I never thought Debby could be so quiet! hahahahaha" They all laughed together, I joined in. "This is just so fancy to me!" I replied bewildered. 
The fruit salad was amazingly displayed in half a shell of watermelon, these tiny baby watermelon had a spiky edge holding inside all the fruit. "How in the world did you make these?" I asked. Tiffany smiled proudly. "I am glad you like them, Mom and I worked all morning on everything so I could just grab it out of the frig, I wouldn't miss out visiting with you at the same time." The house was empty, everyone else was gone as the four of us girls visited over beautiful displayed foods and our pairs of gloves to the side. After our tea party we all four watched the "Anne of Green Gables" Movies and laid around each other in our outfits. When I would twirl to spin out my dress, I would giggle at how much fun it was to be a girl after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment