Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Magic School Bus

I was watching in awe, in wonder at the bright yellow school bus full of kids and sleeping bags. I stood in the gravel parking lot of the Pentecostal church in Caldwell Idaho that warm summer late morning. It was going to be my very first church camp experience so I stood there bewildered taking it all in. No one had noticed me yet so I just watched wide eyed. This was back in the summer 1989. I was going to work for my Aunt Sonja and Uncle Dan. It was the week of their church camp, they were high school counselors and I was going to be their babysitter. My cousin BreAnne was just a toddler, she wore the cutest clothes and had one blond curl sticking up on her head in a bow. I just adored her! She had these little legs wobbling when she ran all the while giggling. I loved when she laughed and smiled, when she shared her toys with me. Babysitting her was simple, usually just during the few hours of chapel. Sometimes she would lay in her play pen with a bottle and I would lay on my couch bed napping knowing in the calm of the afternoon everything was just so perfect. 
Now this school bus on the first day of camp was about to head up to Cascade for the whole week. I stood very still wanting to remember this moment. I was actually terrified of the school bus once I saw all those kids get seated. "Do you want to ride with the kids in the bus?" My Aunt Sonja asked me. Her one arm was carrying her daughter, the other brushed her blond hair back. I just swallowed quickly shaking my head, No. She nodded watching me closely as if she was trying to read my mind. I liked my Aunt Sonja but I was easily intimidated by her at the same time. She was always trying to help me read, trying to make me stop moving around to learn. She would often laugh while watching me mispronounce words at family dinners. Not because she thought I was ridiculous but how obvious it was that I should know by now how to read. In all my family members when it came to education, she knew the truth in our ridiculous system of homeschooling. I will always be grateful to her in trying to help me when she could. How do you tell a 10 year old child that they should know how to read by now without  hurting their feelings? I am sure my Aunt Sonja struggled with that over the years watching us from afar. 
"You can ride with your Uncle Dan." Sonja said as she buckled BreAnne in her car seat of a mini van. I happily joined my Uncle in his big white pickup with a boat attached. Now a big scary looking car with rusted out parts came smoking into the gravel parking lot as I sat in the pickup waiting to leave. The man popped right out of the creepy looking vehicle with a big smile, he removed his sun glasses to look at me through the open window. "Hey I know you! You are Kathy's niece right? I was at your birthday dinner back in January. Remember me?" He stood there with his hand out for a High-five, he had curly long hair down his neck. He also hadn't shaved that day but he was clearly a happy over all guy. "Robert!" I exclaimed reaching out to hit his hand. "Right on, right on." He said as he hugged my Uncle Dan, they talked for a few seconds then He jumped aboard the big school bus. The very moment his feet hit the inside of that bus the screams and cheers filled the air. I smiled at the whole scene, for I had been hoping ever since I met the guy that he would be my next uncle. My Mom said that Kathy had really high standards, that Robert would have to actually make some money first. But I didn't care. So with if or if not I still really liked him. He of course ended up being my Uncle. And he is one the most compassionate men I have ever known. So at the age of 10 I watched him move, dance and laugh in that school bus before we took off. I thought to myself I want to be just like him someday. My Uncle Dan is my mother's brother, I enjoyed the drive up to cascade with him as he shared his big butterfingered candy bar. "What is the orange center?" I asked him. He looked at his half in hand for a second trying to figure it out then replied "Candy." He let out a laugh that made me smile. My Uncle Dan looked like Jesus. Have you ever seen painting or picture of Jesus? With dark wave hair, dark eyes, dark eye brows, a strong thick neck with a long straight nose. The jaw line of my Uncle Dan curved just like a picture of Jesus. My Aunt Sonja was always saying she wanted to marry a really hairy guy, so she really lucked out. When Uncle Dan took the part of Jesus in a church play. I proudly watched knowing I had already made that connection. Riding up to Cascade with him was peaceful for me. I sat there taking in the world outside, I felt safe and happy all at the same time. The week long camp memories are just as vivid as it was yesterday. But maybe I shall share more of those stories later. For as my Uncle Dan drove the pickup behind the school bus on the highway up to church camp he said "Have you ever rode in a School bus?" I looked curiously at it in front of us. "Noooo?" He nodded towards it explaining "You should, it's really fun and noisy." He chuckled then added "Maybe on the way back after you make some friends." I hadn't thought about making new friends. Suddenly I was thrilled about this whole new week ahead. Now I did make friends and learn every single person's name. I could tell you word for word what was said in Chapel, in songs and in games. The most favorite of my games was "Sand man." Where Uncle Dan gave out game cards the one with the joker card was the sand man who in the dark big room touched people on the top of their head, then those touched had to lay down on the floor in the pitch black darkness then when you got step on, the person still up walking around had to yell out "Sand man!" then all th lights came on everyone froze. The person at the lights control had to guess who is the Sand man, by looking at the all people laying on the floor and those still remaining in the game who were walking around trying to avoid getting touch on the head. Now I LOVED that game! I would have spent every free time playing that game!
I did ride home in the school bus with my future Uncle Robert driving, with my new friends yelling and tossing bags of candy all around. I sat there for the very first time in a magical school bus. My legs dangled of course, the seat was springy and I felt so unsafe with no seat belt. I sat a couple of seats behind the drivers seat. The older high school kids crowded the back in mountains of bags and pillows. I sat next to a shy girl named Connie. She was one of the nicer girls who made me feel happy to call her my new friend. Though I never saw her again after this shared memory. "Are you ready to be home?" she asked holding out her bag of candy. I took a piece of hard candy I think it was a butterscotch. "NO!" I exclaimed. I was honestly going to cry at saying goodbye to the fun memories at the lake. She sighed "Oh man I sure am. I want to sleep in my own bed and just be quiet in my own room." She shared. "You have your own bedroom?!" I asked amazed. She smiled and nodded. Then she asked a very important question, one I thought about for a long time afterwords. "Do you miss your family?" No one had ever asked me that question before. I sat blankly looking at her in confusion. In one whole week I never once was reminded of my family. I had forgotten I had a sister who woke me up every morning by pulling all my blankets off me until I woke up startled and cold. I had a brother who was always tattling on me. I had a Mother who was as daydreaming, distracted all the time. Once Mom had put the gallon of milk in the cookie cupboard, now it was a new place to live after all. For we were staying in a cottage on my Grandpa's farm during that whole summer. I had a Dad who came out to the farm on the weekends when he wasn't working. He had a very short temper, he had a ton of stress in his life. "NOPE." I answered Connie, she looked surprised. "You don't miss your family? Really? I sure do miss mine! I even miss my dog!" She smiled warmly at me. Maybe she could tell I was in pain over realizing I was about to see my family again. MY DOG!! Oh yes I missed my dog so much! My uncle Dan gave me Savannah and I really did miss her. "Do you miss your family?" No, but I miss my dog. After getting home and getting the belt for sucking my fingers while sleeping up in camp. I was wiping my tears away while walking the farm with my golden colored mutt of a perfect dog, I petted her saying "Girl, you are the only true family I have. and I did really really miss you!<3

No comments:

Post a Comment