Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lovely Luna

Yesterday my Aunt Chris's Boston terrier named Luna died. 
I was so fortunate to meet Luna a few times. Yesterday morning when my husband Tony and I stop in at the smoothie shop before he had to be to work. I saw a display of breakfast bars and exclaimed "Look! it's a LUNA bar! She is famous!" Later on in the day I would discover that Luna is now resting in peace....Oh, Sweet Pup!
How fast it is when the lives of dogs fill our days, our home and become a part of the family! How sad, how quickly they are gone as well. Yet those memories are the best moments to recall and laugh out loud as if they still lived side by side with you again. Saying goodbye to a dog's friendship is by far harder then an actual person though equal in such parting pain. The passing of a companion such as a dog comes from a place no one else can touch in your soul. How happy are those wet nosed creatures, whose caring eyes and devoted love makes us also happy? How hard it is to say Goodbye when you never stop to think the day will come? I guess in understanding for every dog who lived, and died, there is another one waiting to share in our time of now. Maybe can be some comfort? I think it's wonderful to realize dogs will always need us, for we surely could not have made it this far in the world without them either.

When I met Lovely Luna her ears were sticking straight up and her eyes were watching me very closely, I thought to myself how scary I must look to her entering her home. So quickly getting down for her to smell me and letting her know I am a gentle person entering with her consent. She spent the time running in to check on me and Aunt Chris then back to her chair of blankets. So adorable she was with her waddling back and forth!
This summer when we were at the Oregon Coast together, My Aunt Chris and her daughter Kelsy took Luna with us for a nice early morning stroll. Over the miles of sand and waves we drank our coffee and watched the dogs. My Mini-Schnauzer Oscar and Luna were almost the same size. When they played in the sand my Oscar barked excitedly and Luna hid. Soon those 2 formed a pack, and our walk was very enjoyable. When on our return walk up the coast line Luna had decided she was done walking. There wasn't any whining or protest like my dog Oscar would have displayed. Oscar has been known to beg me to carry him when he is done walking too. Nope! Luna locked up on all fours and refused to go another step. My Aunt was walking and talking along side her daughter, when I noticed the skid marks all the way across the loose soft sand. It had to be the funniest thing to ever see! Luna was NOT walking anymore. Period! but in the sand her protest went completely unnoticed! I was laughing so much at how adorable Luna was, My Aunt Chris said that Luna sometimes has a mind of her own. But in that deep soft sand she just slid right along side of us on that sunny summer morning. 
Maybe in Luna's own personal heaven she gets to lay out in the warm sun light, Just viewing the ocean this time and eating endless peanuts! Farewell kisses to Lovely Luna<3

2 comments:

  1. Another good story Debby. Thanks. It's always hard to lose a pet.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing out loud. That was one of the funniest things about her. One time this summer she would stop at shade and plop over, I'd wait a bit and then say come on, and she'd get to and go to then the next shade and plop over. After the third time I said, "Luna, let's go home" and she jumped up real fast and pulled me all the way home without another stop.

    It's been a hard week, especially for Dad since she was with him 24/7.

    Thanks for your sweet love.

    ReplyDelete