Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2019

How to setup a peaceful home



      I have been keeping my dog Oscar on a leash beside me when the kittens come downstairs to play after breakfast time.

It's getting a bit better in him watching the kittens play without trying to break them up or control them. Oscar has always acted like he knows when the playing is getting to rough or crazy.
Last week was about meeting the kittens on a leash not behind the gate anymore, now this week is about learning to stay on the couch or chair if the kittens bolt around the room. Oscar is getting use to the kittens along side Jazzy, Tinker and occasionally Lewis. Lewy bolts for the front door the moment he sees movement from the kittens, he eats his breakfast just a bit faster hearing them meow upstairs. Tinker climbs up in Tony's clothes closet to nap after breakfast and only comes back out into the living room when I put the kittens in their base camp again.

I try small spurts of time in mingling everyone, right after breakfast everyone know the kittens will be exploring the home more, Jazzy has been watching hem through the screen or window because she is playful and it startles them, she may turn into dominating so I am very careful when scent swapping that she isn't ever alone with the playful growing up fast kittens. I also keep Oscar in his bedroom until I have time to handle him on the leash while the kittens run about.

All in all we are making progress, mid morning nap time is still important so I put the kittens up in their room for that. This allows Oscar to rest not worrying if the kittens will run over him too.

My life is so very blessed with my 3 old cats, my well trained dog and my 2 new kitties.

My home is getting setup better for this time in our lives.

My husband knows how much I love helping animals while he's a busy scheduled hard working lawyer now, I know that he likes the joy bringing kittens into our home would mean for me as he can't be home like he use to.....

My schedule, my time in watching over everyone and creating the perfect space has been such a gift!

I have been extra careful in keeping Oscar with me so he knows we are partners in everything. He will be turning 13 years old next month and I am all to aware of how the kittens will most naturally out live him....so my mission is to never let Oscar think he's replaced.

I think he's such an awesome dog and the best part of me is always him!
Now the kittens have burst into our lives with such new joy and laughter! Although Oscar might not be laughing quite yet.....

No comments:

Post a Comment