Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2019

Create Your Cat's Happy Place!






I love creating fun new places for the pets to sleep or rest in, I love how my home is full of blankets and pillows.
Every time we moved in the last decade, I always made a base camp first. Tinker got her own private suite because she would freak out on Jazzy and Lewis so while they shared their first bedroom when we moved into a new place, Tinker go the closest because it always took her longer to get use to a new home.
Now we have cat doors setup for them to move in and out easily for their litter boxes and escape to a new room.
I have 2 litter boxes per cat in my home always.
I clean it out twice a day, and I keep everything clean, with cat beds up high and down low.
I am feeding my kittens soft food 3 times a day and increasing the amount as they are growing, they meet the other pets through gates and screens after scent swapping.
I put the kittens in the crate to get use to it, then set them out in the open for the other cats can smell them too.
There is quite a lot of work in getting everyone aware of each other.
There is very important steps in order to ensure safety first, then trust and eventually routines. I know it'll be better for my dog is the kittens grow bigger before they are both free to move around each other....since terriers are rodent killers my tiny little kittens are at risk for being mistaken by the hunting dogs as a rat or mouse....so in this I am going to wait till my kittens are bigger to be able to meet Oscar face to face.
The basecamp I have setup is totally awesome and perfect for my 2 kittens. I am glad I have the space for this all to happen safely in my home. I picture everyone napping together on my bed by the cold winter time, Oscar may always need his own space as he is an old grumpy dog. Yet he's use to chilling out in the guest room or as I call it his room. I say "Go get in." to him and that is where he goes to wait for me to close the door and he can feel safe again. The home is over run with cats now so he will need his own safe space, his own basecamp too.
I love these early mornings in this late summer time to get everyone introduced slowly and carefully.
The kittens have such energy even Oscar and I look at each other in surprise by it!
The kittens get an hour out to run freely while Oscar is on the leash by me, then I put them back into their basecamp and Oscar takes a long deep nap.
Hopefully over time like this the whole home will be the peaceful happy place for all!


No comments:

Post a Comment