Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Tree Well Awareness

It's important this time of the year as skiers and snowboarders take to the mountains, that we talk about all the dangers out there for them in the snow, in last year's horrid snow storms, in all that crazy snow those tree wells were very deep....they were intensely created from such a bad winter. 

My brother was always talking about being safe, and being smart.
He was a very good snowboarder, he wasn't stupid, he wasn't weak in any way that hitting the slopes on his weekends was a normal thing for him to do.

And yet when he hit a treewell he died.

He had been soaking up the bright sun light of that almost spring like warmth. It was the last Saturday of February 2017. 
I am assuming he knew how spring was just around the corner so getting out early onto the slopes with his friends was important in capturing such a great day snowboarding! I am also assuming that he was very happy, very at ease in his favorite past time!

So for all of his strength and wisdom, for all of his talent and skill as he traveled alone down the slope of the mountain the tree well claimed him. 
I have wondered to myself if he said "Oh no! This is NOT good!"
or if he actually cussed saying "Well Shit!" when he saw the tree trunk coming at him?
Maybe he prayed, maybe he sent out messages of love to all his loved ones in his thoughts? Maybe he didn't realize what had happened? Maybe he simply fell asleep in peace and a real snow angel came to help him leave that body behind?
Maybe I will always wondered about this, and wish he could of been saved in that sudden fall.


So for all his youth, for all his adventures and for all his conversations with me as I bugged him about safety, He didn't plan on falling into a tree well that day. And he didn't have a partner right beside him in case of trouble like that................

I can not warn enough, I can not keep silent about the importance of avoiding tree wells. The importance of knowing all of the dangers in dealing with snow!
I don't mind if people say that I nag on about this.....For I understand the cost, the loss and the great pain in seeing how treewells will claim the lives of the people who got trapped in them!

Just like from the popular movie "Finding Nemo." I ask everyone "Do you have your exit buddy?"
In other words never ski/snowboard alone among the trees of those snowy mountains.






Eyes open and Be Safe out there!




1 comment: