Search This Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Slip Sliding around...

Yesterday I was amazed at how much longer it took me to reach my parents home in the big snow fall. All winter long we have had dry crisp cold clear roads. It was good for me who drove out twice a week in December to help my mother out, having safe roads made the trip easy and quick. So yesterday as I drove in the car, I had to keep myself calm, if I slide off or hit something it won't be the end of the world or so I told myself as I drove slowly along. Even my 3 dogs in the back seat seemed to sense the tension and laid down quietly. My mom was really thoughtful in saying I could always sleep over in her cottage if the roads got real bad. Also My father said he would drive me home that night if the storm didn't let up. But it was quite warm and slushy when I did head on home that evening, I was glad my parents could stay cozy in at home when I left. I arrived in one piece after a close call in slip sliding around coming off the free way that morning. Once I got inside my mother's warm cozy cottage I made some hot tea and breakfast then heard Mom singing so I found out what song it was and brought it up on the computer. She was amazed by how fast that was and she listened to this song over and over again while I tried to get my brothers to dance with me in the living room. It opened a whole string of memories from my mother about her grandparents and her father, of her childhood times and this song she sang again. I was thinking to myself that getting out there was stressful but I was glad to have this moment with my mother even more! She may get frustrated trying to bake things in the kitchen as long I can stay close by so she doesn't fall and yet I know her frustration is apart of the healing and new understanding in all her limits. If she is trying on her own then she can't blame anyone else for not letting her do what she wants, I think it's a big part in giving her respect. Letting her gain her own dignity back in doing more things in the kitchen as she figures out how to stand on her own again. My mother was singing then stop to thoughtful share "My father use to love Jim Reeves and all his music, when I think of this song I can see my father again like it was yesterday...." I stayed on my knees by her lap looking up with a smile knowing with or without a snow storm this music made her happy again....

No comments:

Post a Comment