Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Half Tanked

I remember the very time I went rafting, the beautiful Idaho mountains full of pine trees and wild flowers, big birds, small birds and even butterflies. Rafting down the payette river was like entering one of those TV nature shows, only more personal. Even from driving on the road above you don't get to really see it all like in my first rafting journey. I was in my element feeling the strength in my arms as I paddled along, it really was a moment of soul searching in my awe of the world around us. I loved the beaming sunshine and coolness in dipping into the water then with my same big arms once again I could pull myself back into the raft after swimming in the calm part of the river......This is my kind of "work out" rafting the river laughing with friends!....maybe enjoying a ice cold beer now and again too:-)


The group all met at the gas station just before we hit the mountains side to drive up to unload our rafting gear and take off down the white waters. My husband Tony said he would fill the car up as I ran to the restroom and bought some bottle waters. When he suddenly yell out to me from the gas station doors "DEBBY get me a Reese cup too!" His mother stood next to me and we both gave each other THAT LOOK. Mama Jojo Hissed back "YOU get it yourself, Debby is busy." I giggle as I set my stuff on at the register Tony hurried over with his requested saying "They don't have DARK chocolate reeses....so I didn't get any I guess, OH grab sunflower seeds!" I roll my eyes mumbling "Gross, now I will have to watch you spit out seed shells all the way there. Nasty." The register clerk smiled and nodded at me then Tony suddenly threw in some jerky to our order with his Mom standing behind us saying "You are holding up the line guys." So as we raced back to our car I said "Tone you can't leave the car at the pump if you are not using it...look at the line people are waiting!" I hurried and noticed he hesitated as he put away the pump. We all were off up the highway after a few mountains corners I worried out loud "Oh no the gas tank gadget-thingy is broken." Tony choked on his drink and coughed a bit then looked all around shifting in his seat. He finally said slowly "I might not have gassed up....." I squealed "WE ARE UNDER THE EMPTY LINE......We are NOT going to make it there TONY!" I had my cell phone in my ear as I could feel a huge laughter starting to choke me..."Hey Mom we have to turn back and get gas....Yup He forgot! We will not make it there without any gas." Laughter was coming from us both by this time as crazy as this moment was...it also was Tony's usual kind of adventures. Mom swung her car back down the mountain to be with us saying "Tony if we didn't love you, we would kill you!" I on the other hand had been laughing so hard my eyes were watering all the way back to the gas station! Tony explained "Well I started to get gas but I realized I needed a candy bar so I would just shout into the store to have Debby get that then I would go back to pump the gas however I got distracted....I guess." I was still giggling as I pumped the gas, for not being stranded on the mountain side with no cell phone service because of all of this could have happened....driving all the way back was far better to feeling safe again. I still can burst out into giggles remember the look on Tony's face when I had no idea, he was wondering to himself how to get around this but knew a straight answer is what I always want.   
AND then I can honestly laugh....  


No comments:

Post a Comment