Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2018

The Old Man & the Gun - Trailer



It's hard to believe that Robert Redford is retiring in his early 80's, the movies need old timers in them to give us wisdom and give us peace of mind for how we can take on our 80's as well.

Yet Robert Redford did just that, he gave us his presence. It was spectacular of course to list down all his great roles in movies, his environmental work and his take on politics has always inspired me. This last movie of his "Old man & the Gun." has made the news a lot because it's said to be his last. I feel such awe on all he did with his life while being an actor, he had a history in nature, in culture and in the new film industry. He carried himself in a classy respectful way that I admired him for most of my life. I hope I can say that he's a soulful man without any hollywood scandal.....yet in these days being dependable and stable becomes so rare that I know we will all miss actors like Robert Redford.

"The Old man & the Gun." made me laugh, made me smile and made me think about the kind of person I will be when I am in my 80's.
Robert Redford is in almost half of my most favorite movies of all time, my time.
I'll always be grateful that his influence in good family values, reflective story telling and simply choosing to do the right thing when no one else is are apart of my maturity growth. Those movies he made, he acted in and he endorsed really helped me take notice and choose to see those out of the fray.

I have grown to think that if no one or most people don't like a certain movie then I must see it because chances are it goes deep into the uncomfortable parts of humanity. Like in the classic film "The Great Gatsby." Robert Redford is told that he is worth more then the whole lot of them. I smiled and nodded proudly because it's true, for among society there are individuals of great character worth more then all the money we could ever obtain.

I walked through the theater remembering how 20 years ago my husband Tony and I came there to see a comedy. I waited in line for my ticket to "The Old man & the Gun." in the very same spot that we did only 2 decades ago....Tony's cerebral palsy was making standing there very difficult yet he was trying not show it but I knew that he needed something to grab on to while waiting in line for the movie so I stepped in front of him talking about the long wait and I stepped right back so that he could grab my shoulder for a breather, he was struggling until he rested his hand on me then he breathed grateful to hold still and not worry about falling down while standing in line. I talked on naturally, getting to know him with out putting him on the spot. Later on in those first 6 months I told him to be honest with me if he grows tired in standing I'll find a chair no problem. He would say "What would people think?" I would reply back "Who the hell cares what people think. I think you should never struggle or hurt when out in public."
I smiled to myself as I remember 20 years ago when Tony and I first met, I was just as bold and practical as I am today. I think it was a telling sign that evening waiting in line at the movies when I saw I could help him stand better if he would just trust me. He did, he said later on how he felt embarrassed by his disability in that first date, only he realized how I wasn't like all the other shallow snooty women he has seen. He could see that it didn't bother me at all, we laughed together through the movie then we debated all the way home that first night in all of our differences in politics and religion.  I look back at 20 years ago and laugh to myself how that's STILL the way we are in disagreeing and debating, yet we have the same core values and the same desire to create a peaceful loving life together.
I order popcorn at the movie theater just before it started and I asked for small but I guess the word "Small" is now anything 24 oz. I am annoyed like an old lady when I go out and see such different things for our culture. This movie ticket was $10.39? who the hell thought of adding .39 cents???? Is that a magic number to help keep movie theaters in business??? I have been trying to not freak out over the ten bucks, 20 years ago it was 6 bucks!?!? Now they add in change like they did to the phone booth? On a rainy day my friend's car broke down and we ran to the phone booth to call her Dad for help staying together because it was dark then she squealed out "35 cents? Since when? who the fuck has 10 cents on them?" I laughed so hard as I dug in my purse for more then just a quarter. Life is like that, it gets really weird before the end of something. I walked through the movie theater this past week thinking maybe it's the end of movie theaters now that they added .39 cents? Movie tickets have always been just a dollar amount and small use to be 8 or 12 oz!?!?! 

In the film as Sissy Spacek talks about being old, I admire her vibrant beauty and soulful understanding. I enjoyed this movie so much, I was giggling at myself for bringing my sweater as I grew cold in the big dark theater at 1pm on a Friday I saw many older looking people there too. My husband had told me to go do something fun and get my mind off of sadness and worrying, he had no idea I choose a movie theater that's not fun to him at all. I explained to him how I wanted to see Robert Redford in the traditional way on the big screen for his last role.

I clapped when the movie was over, I felt proud to of seen it and I laughed so much in the scene when Casey Affleck is given a cupcake with a candle at his work, they all say "Happy 40th birthday, it's all down hill from here." I choke and laugh in the profound connection to me, I think to myself "If I have been going up hill these last 40 years I sure hate to see what going down looks like.... sssssshit!"
      As Robert Redford has proven it doesn't matter your age, it matters your attitude.
The world will continue to change and feel weird at times, I can only aspire to take it in grace and in bravery, maybe even take it in a new adventure ahead!








No comments:

Post a Comment