Search This Blog

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Mrs. Doubtfire

The movie "Mrs. Doubtfire" came out when I was around 14 years old and my Grandma Norma took me to see it as a luncheon out. It was so nice to be on my own with her in the theater like that! I rarely if ever saw a movie like that in a public setting. I think that is why it was such an important moment and memory in my life! The movie wasn't exactly what Grandma thought it would be and she said that often through out those uncomfortable "modern moments" of the film. Robin Williams can be blunt as well as extremely funny. He isn't bothered by the rules as he often makes fun of them, people gasp and step back when he makes his voices to talk about sex or body parts. I can see why my Grandma wasn't thrilled over this film in the end but for me I think it changed my life and I truly love it! So lately this movie came back into my memory as I have just finished my first week as a Nanny. I inspire to be as classy as Mrs. Doubtfire in that perfect dinning room table scene, it's not hard to be nanny if you like kids and can treat them with respect. I have never had a problem in visiting with children and I love being a homemaker this made the job truly delightful!
 Looking back from when I saw movie I learned about divorce thinking it was such a sad situation, yet I wondered about life and love changing over time for people in that way.  I decided while watching it that staying together just for the kids makes life even more sad, with missed opportunities, it's rather a tricky topic for everyone, and each story is personal to themselves. I think divorce is misunderstood way to often, judged to quickly by those who have never dealt with it and should never be seen as a failure. I think it's more like grabbing a new book to read when the other one has ended...Life is like that never actually ending but full of life lessons, some love stories can keep up and some just get laid to rest. This movie taught me that, helped me stop worrying or judging the topic so strictly.

 When my Grandma said to me as we left the theater where we had just seen "Mrs. Doubtfire" I wiped a few tears from my eyes feeling new emotions in myself. She walked one arm in mine as we were about the same height at the time, She was always short and cute saying as we walked "Well now that was a waste of time and money, I feel so depressed." I chuckled and nodded thinking silently to myself that I wished during the movie that my own parents would get a divorce, since they were so clearly unhappy just like that. Imagine how peaceful Mom would keep our home? How my father would only come around at Christmas times in his favorite holiday then we would only remember him as happy and good. Yet here I am almost 20 years later from seeing that movie and it never happened to my parents, this ideal divorce I was thinking would be nice. My understanding now is that my mother's judgement, her words spoken to me have lasted in my mind more then any emotional explosion my father had....there would have not been a perfect happy family either way it went I can see that now. THIS is the real issue with divorce or not divorced families, friendship should always come first before being related or sharing the same blood. Friendships WILL out last or create new families!

My favorite part of this movie after re-watching over the years, is the last line Mrs. Doubtfire says about Love in his new Tv show;
"There are all sorts of different families, Katie. Some families have one mommy, some families have one daddy, or two families. And some children live with their uncle or aunt. Some live with their grandparents, and some children live with foster parents. And some live in separate homes, in separate neighborhoods, in different areas of the country - and they may not see each other for days, or weeks, months... even years at a time. But if there's love, dear... those are the ties that bind, and you'll have a family in your heart, forever. All my love to you, poppet, you're going to be all right... bye-bye." 


No comments:

Post a Comment