Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Guard Dogs

      The blankets were all laid out, the house was all locked up. Even the storming rain outside made my husband sigh happily to be in his bed. JUST as the dogs all came in behind me...He asked in alarm "Where are they all going to sleep?!?" I chuckled as he is always unsure to how much room in the bed he is going to get every night. I placed my smallest dog Sidda in her usual spot by my pillow. Then I put Minnie my brown fluffy hippy looking dog in the far corner of the bedroom where she likes to be on her own. I then set the large black lab Summer on the dog bed closest to me. Once everyone was settled in along with my 2 miniature schnauzers Oscar and Eddie cuddled up in the bed against my legs. I turned out the lights, the snorting, the scratching and the dreaming of all the dogs went on until everyone was soon fast asleep. The darkness covered the muddy earth, the cold chilly winds blew and the stars peaked in and out of that above moving sky. There, in a quiet cozy warm cottage with white paint pealing off the trim of that green front door had five dogs inside sleeping soundly around my husband and I. Late that night or early morning depending on how you look at the time in the small neighborhood street there was a sound, many sounds of car doors opening and closing that sent these dogs into a panic! Summer with her amazing sense of hearing, was the first to respond in a loud alarming howl! She shot out of the bedroom to protect us all in her strong guard dog ways, I sat straight up with all the dogs barking trying to get an idea of where I was! Then in the few seconds it took us to circle the inside of our home proved no one had broken in after all! But the chaos of five dogs barking being so sure we were under attack took some time to calm them down, just before they all stopped barking Oscar instantly puked. It was all so crazy that the shadows of people moving around outside finally left and I was giggling over how my silly overly dramatic dog Oscar couldn't quite handle the thought of a REAL intruder so he threw up! While Summer was ready to pull the legs off of a boogie man. 
Needless to say it took awhile to have us all fall back to sleep again, and I realized how nice it is to have a real guard dog like Summer visiting!


2 comments:

  1. Poor Oscar. He hates all that excitement. Mr. Drama Queen! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, maybe he could just gross out the bad guys?!

    ReplyDelete