Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

The Departing

For all of my life, as far back as I can remember I have hated war. War movies, shooting and fighting stories/pictures/news coverage I watched them in such deep passionate dislike while thinking how wrong it all is. Even those bible stories as a kid when I was being told of Joshua needing to kill off ALL pagans then when he didn't kill them all God was mad at Joshua. I was confused by this message, It was explained to me that the corruption of these sinful people in the bible will ruin God's plan, Joshua had to kill everyone not in his own group in order to take over the promise land. (Ironically I didn't like this as a kid either) I look back now remembering how psycho the bible actually is. Sadly for many people they still believe this way.....actually our whole government and the men who hold the power tells us the very same story line now! So how did that work out for Joshua? I would risk God's wrath and defy him in NOT killing off all the other countries. We have free will for a reason and I think Joshua couldn't handle any more blood on his hands in God's name.
I hated war and I hated that part about God as I grew up. why would the universal power want to get upset and take revenge? As God why would you react like a human? There are so many other ways to solve problems and disagreements instead of killing off who you don't  like. We have compassion and conversations for this purpose in order to work together, it's a part of our humanity. This weekend as I sat watching families hang on to each other, I had to ask myself once again "Why war? Why can't we problem solve in a better way by now?" So as this army group was leaving for a year in Afghanistan I watched in my reflective thoughts every tear and every hug that unfolded. Do we think that these soldiers lives are worth more now going to war? Do we not realize what we have asked of them as their babies grow up, their families change? I was wishing them blessings and safety as I have supported the troops always I however won't support the wars. These soldiers have a job to do in our military I understand that, but what kind of job does our government ask of us to leave our families behind? How I feel in what is honoring, supporting the troops isn't about sending them away. It is more important to stay together always through out everything but especially through out war time. We can remember that we are stronger in numbers when we come together in that kind of support. 
Will we ever get out this consuming need for world domination in thinking it brings peace? I ask this more from myself then anything. Can we be the change we wish to see in the world? Can we send our military away from home without understanding the full purpose and reasons behind it all? It is heroic to be apart of the send off, to be standing with respect in full of awe the glory to protect our country. But what is the answer, what is it you say to that little kid who sobs out in their sweet soft voice..."Dadddddddy."
  All I can say, all I manage is a whisper of "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry."

No comments:

Post a Comment