Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Ships come Sailing In.....

I woke up with my dog at my feet in our big fluffy bed in Cannon Beach, Oregon. 





And I was truly thrilled to be there!!
   


On that Christmas eve morning at 6am my husband Tony 
and my dog Oscar jumped in our little gray car following after my father-in-law Kelly and his wife Teresa along with their 2 miniature schnauzers Newton and Edison. 
We caravan out of Idaho to the Oregon Coast for that Christmas weekend. It was wonderful to arrive in Cannon Beach with the smell of the salt water in the air. Oscar and I sprung from the car the very second we arrived in our excitement that by the time I found my husband again I had already covered the sandy hillside, saw the hay stack rock and ran for miles until my lungs burned. Oscar was clearly happy for he knew this vacation place very well and once off his leash he ran his frenzy of fun! I love it when Oscar runs in a figure 8 at such amazing speed and excitement. His tongue ends up hanging longer then usual and his spiky beard turns into a sandy mess but I don't care, for I love it all! and I still pick him up in my arms while still wearing my nice jacket and lacy scarf. To me a dog's love is by far more important then the quality of my clothes. Being at the ocean, laughing long and hard when my dog flies out after a group of seagulls looking very proud of himself makes me so happy, just getting to be a part of that moment with nature feels very perfect once again. Christmas eve found us all in the cabin with many goodies and wine, while dogs laid on laps and blankets. My Brother-in-law Dustin and his girl Stephanie had come up with such a great plan to spend that Christmas in Cannon Beach, so the 6 of us along with 3 dogs made that Christmas eve very magical! We also enjoyed Teresa's amazing cookies talking about all our new ideas for the new year in front of the warm glow of the fireplace. 
Waking up on Christmas day in such beautiful warm weather was really rare for being at the coast. As Dad poured us champagne while sitting on a sandy log, we took in the bright beautiful morning sun light talking about how wonderful of a holiday is really was! I loved that time just walking along the wet ground with the dogs and watching them play. It truly was the best Christmas day I could ever remember! There is such magic in watching the ocean waves move or just sitting in the sun light on that soft cold sand. My Husband Tony and I kept singing "The Ships come sailing on Christmas day in the morning!" from that famous movie  
"A Christmas Carol" while we sat together drinking champagne on that big log overlooking the bright open sky.   The soft ocean moved, with the warmth of the sun brighten the whole place, and most importantly there was no wind at all which made us all smile as our glasses clanged together with a big "Cheers!"   For that was a very merry merry Christmas day to never forget and to remember how you don't need very much to create a holiday full of love and meaning after all!







No comments:

Post a Comment