Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

18 things to remember in pet care


1. Companionship is safety.

Animals often move in packs or in awareness of others to warn or help them stay safe through this life cycle of theirs. Cats and dogs love to be close to you in all the places of your home for protection and security. Welcome them with arms wide open!

2. Stability.

Animals need stable schedules, they find purpose in what to do with their day when it is organized and dependable.

3. Playfulness.

Animals have many ways to play and I love being apart of that whenever I can. I set up cat toys all around my home and I throw the Frisbee for my dog. Such joy and delight is when he runs just for fun in his happy frenzy in the cool summer evenings.

4. Good foods.

Animals need to eat, pets are at risk for very bad food choices so I like to cook my own choices for them. That calming time after a full belly is my favorite to see in all of my pets as they nap deeply. I have been baking doggie cookies too, so this is a delightful time in the elder years of my dog.

5. Good hygiene.

Animals sometimes need help in grooming or bathing, whenever I start to smell my dog I take a shower with him or I shower and save the water for him to soak a bit. I clean my cats with wet wash clothes or D.E. powder ( Diatomaceous Earth) that dust them down and I brush them out really good, If I find fleas then I will oil my cats down in coconut oil and comb them out. I have used pills to help prevent fleas in my wandering cats too. Good health often helps in prevention too. My bubble bath with dawn dish soap for all my dogs have worked in facing off fleas too. I usually give my pets a deep cleaning twice a month or more in the summer time.

6. Togetherness.

Animals are social in so many ways, I take my dog on walks or car rides if the weather is safe and usually always keep them with me. If you have a dog then you already know that they love being with you and they can help you see who is a good person in this world just by staying together when being social.

7. Vet Check ups.

Animals need check ups and updated shots. I have recently found the best vet right here in my neighborhood. It takes me 4 minuets to get my pets to their appointments I am in awe and gratefulness for this setup! 

8. Communication.

Animals send communication to each other all the time, I love observing them and understanding them. When my Oscar was a puppy I woke up chatting away to him so we would go outside first thing for his potty time and he would talk back in short yips and chatting like noise. This always made my husband laugh as he drank his coffee listening to us "talk."

9. Cuddling.

Animals understand staying together is safety, It is my favorite time of the night just before bed as everyone is cuddling, trusting, and getting into a cozy spot with each other as darkness brings us all in for the end of the day.

10. Training.

Animals are easily trained especially with stability and security. They like having a purpose and a job to do so training becomes that purpose for them.
It's wonderful to see how each animals is different with special talents and gifts to bring through out the training session. Training is always going on even if you are not in a class schedule or time set aside for commands and tricks. I am always explaining that training is never ending even after they totally get it. Never be in a hurry or impatient in training as it is the stable calm person who gets the best results.

11. Safety.

Animals can get themselves into danger without knowing it. The whole world is in fact a very scary and dangerous place for humans too. Being alert and aware helps in all the safety steps you can take to protect your animals and your home. I am always taking a head count on where all my pets are every couple of hours or so. A fenced in backyard is a wonderful setup when you have more then one dog. A big tree in your front yard is also a safe place for your cats, who like to explore, it's important to me in knowing how my pets behave when they don't think I am watching over them as I see the safety issues they face. I have a list of do's and don'ts in caring over my home, so I never leave lit candles in fact I don't own candles without batteries because I have cats now. I never leave appliances on when I run out to the store, and I separate my cats and dogs if I will be gone since dogs like caves and feeling safe I usually crate them or put them in their own bedroom. Old dogs don't handle the crates very well so a small room just to themselves can help in safety when I am not home. Never leave your dogs outside when you are not home. True danger comes when on one is around to help them....

12. Fresh water.

Animals will drink anything when they are desperate, I don't want my pets to get diseases in sharing water so I change it every single morning, clean out the film in the water bowls and setup several watering corners of my home.  Water is the biggest part of safety I can recommend. ALL beings need water at ALL times of the day! The clean cool fresh water makes me happy to see a whole day of safety set down for them.

13. Low Sound.

Animals have superhero hearing. They can hear such amazing sounds that we had no idea was going on so I recommend and warn most people who blare their car radio or TV set that if their pets are around then they could be made deaf. It happens all the time actually that dogs go deaf quickly from the external noise we as humans haven't noticed. When I have the car to myself I will turn it up but it usually always stays down just in case. Our TV shows are never that loud as well and it was clearly noted when it got crazy noisy my husband would laugh at how all the animals left the room to nap else where in order to not be bothered by the loud sounds. So be considerate on your pets that they are gifted in great hearing.

14. Healing.

Animals need time to heal just as humans, they get sick or feel out of sorts just like you and me. I have learned that when a animal is sick or hurting they will behave very differently. This is a clear cut sign of taking responsibility for them. Like not going to a social place forcing them to be nice when they hurt. Not hiking a mountain or biking in the heat as they need to clearly rest and heal. Time in the slow lane is nice for those sick and hurt pets to get back to their old selves again. Healing is the best time to cuddle, to nap and to simply relax in your shared life.

15. Nap Time.

Animals love their nap time, that resting and relaxing helps them handle any sudden changes or threats that sneak up on them. I think it's my favorite time of the day to take pictures of all my pets in their napping places of my home. We have a Mid-morning nap time and a late afternoon nap time. I often join in the later afternoon nap time after I have cleaned the whole house or pulled a section of weeds. Nap time is my idea of real success because these animals have had all their needs met that now they trust each other enough to deeply cuddle and nap together in the heat of the day. It really makes me proud, taking naps is such a gift in healing too.

16. Meal time.

Animals love routine, schedules and the guarantee of meals. I love meal time because seeing everyone eat makes me feel safe as well, that we can have good strength in sharing our nutrition with each other. Making sure everyone has enough helps lessen any drama over needing more food, for it can be very dramatic on the animals, so making sure there is enough can help lessen the fear of starving.

17. Shit happens.

Animals try to keep their own poop far away from themselves as much as possible this is the most important job in caring over your pets as real diseases and health problems are found in the piles of shit they produce. So often in the cat world people never ever  clean the litter box and wonder why the cat has taken to pooping and peeing under their bed. I explain often to new cat owners that the litter box is the most important chore of all! Clean it out twice a day or put 2 litter boxes in place of when you can clean it then. Because it is vital to the healthiness of your cat and dog to always get their poop cleaned up!  It is real abuse to leave your pets laying their own shit, so take it seriously and get it cleaned up daily....even ask for help right away if ya can't stomach it.

18. Changing with age.

Animals grow old as equal to you or I, we all face new pains and new limitations on ourselves in old age. Being adaptable, being able to adjust the stable schedule to the new issues our animals have in old age is vital to enjoying the end of life.
We are all here to help one another, the young will always help the old and the old will always advise the young. The animals have their own traditions and instincts handed down to generations. 
I understand that some old pets can't handle the joy of the youth, that some youthful pets can't stand the boring slow ways of the old. 
This is a whole new awareness in how each animal will handle their "golden years." so being able to see how to not push the old into behaving like the young or push the young to learn from the old is also very important in our pet worlds. I have come to see that old age is different for each and every creature.....I like helping in keeping the peace in however that looks with safety first. 
Changing my ideas of how to exercise, how to travel and how to take on the new day with my pets in their limited elderly years has taught me so much in living with grace, with joy of peace. For in all things with the animals of this earth as we are called to care over and protect them the best we can is that time stands still for no one, we live with the purpose that we are all connected to better the world. 

To grieve when we are parted from one another and to be proud of the days we shared!

To live when we are all together, to embrace these 18 things and to see the wonder of it all coming together for the great story of life!

To kiss the puppies, to play with the kittens, to lay on the floor holding one last breath of our animals, our pets, our friends is the greatest way to live!

and I have truly lived.





No comments:

Post a Comment