Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

The Master Gardener

While I watched the door as I worked this year at the Fair. I waited for him. My usual folding chair was waiting for the second he will arrive along with his amazing produce, He has the most yummy home grown walnuts, even got national recognition. 
Every year for the last 5 years that I have worked this Fair job, Ross Hadfield always won blue ribbons! Sadly this year I just knew by the time the afternoon came on entry day, 
We really don't live forever.
When I made a comment yesterday while in our Fair Meeting, That I had really missed him. Someone said "I remember reading his Obit a few months ago." Another person asked "Wasn't he almost a hundred?" I stared off into the trees of our patio table, Now I wasn't in tears because I already knew in my heart that this was why he never came. For when I went to put his chair away after that long awaiting day. I looked out over setup of the Fair grounds in that blazing sunset, I Felt so sad. I patted the chair I had for him saying to myself.
"Goodbye Ross, your message wasn't lost to me."
Having confirmation on his death though I was lost once again in a flash back to how much I loved chatting with that old guy, with passion He LOVED gardening. His home for over 50 years was in the Heart of town, Meridian. Yet when he first moved there it was mostly a country side.
When his wife died he continued teaching gardening classes, He had a very important message about food, How our homes need to have gardens or we will struggle in the future. 
In my Master gardening class, He was the special speaker for the day. He made me laugh so much with his common sense, dry sense of humor and the spark of love he had for the Earth, in that easy way he could talk to anyone. He had such a fear for the future of our great nation. So when he asked "Who is under 30?" The class rippled with laughter, He added with a wink at me as I looked up "Because the rest of you are doomed! hahahahaha" It took me a second to stop writing notes in realizing my hand was the ONLY one up, instantly I jerked it back down and everyone laughed again. I laughed also pointing to some of my new classmate friends "You look under 30 come on raise your hand with me No one will know!" Then laughter filled the room.
When Ross put his hand on my shoulder during his speech about how we don't know where our food comes from anymore, how much the cost will sky rocket one day, then it will be a scary time to live. It will be the under 30 year old people of this time to have a calling in growing a garden and to lead the nation into a new age. I adore this man! he saw the future in need, he understood how far from nature our society has come. Yet he loved his life, he didn't hide under a cave or stop laughing. Life was beautiful for him even in his deepest understanding that the lack of a garden, leaves us desperate for food. Someday when I am a leader at his age I hope to have the gift of not loosing heart among such negative events. 
The class tour of Ross's home was like walking on to the "Candyland" board game for kids. My fellow Master Gardeners were in awe, pointing out all sorts of things and snapping pictures. I found myself lost, lingering in the peach trees with a grape vine growing through them. Ross walked by me saying "Those are Alberta trees." He smiled pushing up his glasses and trucking off in his overalls with his white hair sticking up in the back a bit. but at the very word "Alberta." I took a deep breath for I knew these trees. THIS was such a magical place, I was at peace in my mind. Ross's best discovery was a huge walnut tree mixed with 2 different types, A squirrel planted this tree he saw over 30 years ago. Now he had the best tasting walnuts I have ever eaten! He was so proud of that tree, for you could eat all the walnuts in the bucket and never once get a canker sore, I called them "the Miracle Walnuts", when he arrived that following summer for the Fair in my Agriculture department to enter his goodies, I hugged him gently as he was a bit out of breath, "Here Ross, a chair." I set it up by my table. I began visiting over his entries. "Wow look at those carrots! I have never seen such size!" and "How did you get corn like THIS? It's so beautiful!" He would then explain how he grows everything and I would eat up all his wonderful information. The second in command Boss came over to me, she rudely interrupted me. "Don't offer him a chair! or he will NEVER leave!" She hissed. I had already gone the rounds with her that day on rudeness, she just had no shame. Needless to say she doesn't work there anymore. But this was my first year working so I respectfully replied "I have all the time in the world." I went back to visiting with my new Friend Ross, earlier that spring his class on gardening was wonderful to me, with his views on the future he just captured my heart. The old lady still hissed behind me, "He will never shut up, so stop asking him questions!" I bent my head down to rub my forehead telling myself "Don't lose it Debby because punching her in the face right now only sounds like a good idea:-)" If Ross could hear her, he ignored us while displaying his items. When he looked around a bit unsteadily "Hope I am not holding up the line." My heart was melting again. I chuckled "Oh No I am here ALL day, You are just fine. Want a soda? I have extra and it's going to be a hot one out there." He sat drinking, laughing and talking to me as easily as if we had been life long friends. When he commented on other people bringing in their garden goods, he was also so nice, helpful and friendly. Once a young woman looked at him like he was an idiot as he said "That's a pretty big Zucchini." She snorted rolling her eyes "It's a cucumber." He stood up to get a better view "Oh you are right." he chuckled gently sitting back down and I glared at the fat ugly woman. I directed her down away from us, since I have the badge I can flash it instead of flashing my fiery through my words. As she wobbled way with her rudeness reeking like her B.O., I asked myself "Why do I hate my generation so much?"
Soon every year from that afternoon I gladly greeted him, sent him up as VIP to the front of the line, we chatted away even when I was busy doing a few things at once. But last month I waited, working while watching for him, when it was a slow time around mid-morning I said out loud "I hope Ross can get here soon, for this perfect time to chat without interruptions." My close friend, also now my second in command Boss. Said "Oh that guy! he is so funny about having extra walnuts to taste!" She walks away laughing, so I called back to her "Those are Magical Walnuts by the way, I named them that!" She let out a louder laugh. "I am sure you did, that sounds just like you!"  
When people die, it isn't the end of all things, it's just a change in the world, like with the wind moving over the earth. I will miss his Gardening soul, I know that someday the wind will claim my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment