Search This Blog

Friday, September 17, 2010

KITTY-LOVE story 1, My Cally

My Cally, this calico cat was born from Merry, Who was my Sister's cat. I was allowed to have a cat of my own from this litter. It was in the spring of my 11th year. Naturally, I was the perfect age for a companion. For on that very second, when I saw her patchy colored tiny body nursing on her Mom, I claimed her as mine. It took a bit more discussion with the family on who got what kitty. I was very proud to own my long haired, white pawed cat. Her eyes were yellow, and with random pattern colored fur. My Cally really was the most beautiful of all the cats on the farm. 
"She smells like soap!" Said a friend of mine carrying my Cally around. I smiled proudly at this comment. Cally did have the softest coat of fur I ever felt, She also laid over my shoulders like a bag of potatoes. I loved how she trusted me, never to drop her. 
When our Mother turned the storage room into the cat haven, we loved it!  With a sloping built in half shaped wooden box to the window. The kittens could be outside then run through cinder blocks to safety. With screened sides and a strong wooden roof, this place offered great protection from all the coyotes around. The little slants of wood inside went all the way up to window were these kittens could pop inside the storage room. Now the window was always open just enough for cats to enter. It was protected by the leftover roofing, some extra shingles. I thought it was the coolest cat stairway I had ever seen! It was there for them to go inside to eat, to drink or sleep. Once my sister and I rolled out a stored bed, it became the common place to find all the cats napping together. That storage room also became our little hide out as well.
Now My Cally was spunky, adventurous and a total snob. She would walk swinging her hips, like she knew she was superior to any other creature on the farm. We would often laugh just watching her. She also had it out for my Dad, he would walk right up to her yelling, commanding her to move. Even once He came close to actually kicking her, yet she stood her ground. She had no problem hissing right back at him! It was like she knew he had no right to disrespect her. My Dad would turn to me saying "That Cat is not Normal!" 
I would smile in agreement, then rush in to pick her up and get her out of his way. She would still be growling deep down in her throat, while watching him with challenging eyes even as I carried her away. The first time I did this, my Dad freaked out, For He was so sure my Cally would attack me in such a state. But I knew she wouldn't even nip me, for I was like her Mama. She really trusted me and I trusted her.
While picking peaches way up inside a tree on one afternoon. I was way out into the orchard, Cally was sitting on a branch watching me work below, I knew I was all alone at the time, so I just kept chattering away with her. Whenever she could follow me around the farm she did, when she was looking for me she would make a different sound while meowing. I could always tell when she called for me. So as I was picking those big juicy "Improved Alberta" peaches, she suddenly put her two front paws on my shoulder in alarm, looking right over my backside then growling. I was both startled and amazed by her actions. "What is it?" I asked as if she could humanly reply. Then I crouched down while hanging on to the three legged latter, looking through all the branches and leaves. Peach trees are full of itchy fuzz during harvest time, I also wore a scarf around my neck to keep from scratching it raw. What I love the most about Peach trees is the shape of their leaves for they look just like little bananas curling around the big blush peaches.
I saw a shadowy figure moving, stopping among the trees. It was a man, I quickly got off the latter, setting my basket to the ground. Then unhooking my shoulder straps, holding my cat. She was really growling now, I waited wondering how fast could I run if I needed to make it home?
I bent all the way down in the soft dirt, looking through all the trunks of trees...."Grandpa!" I exclaimed then giggled. He was just a row over now. "Yeah?" he asked while inspecting more leaves. My Cat ran over to him with her ears back. "Cally thinks she is a dog! she was growling long before I ever saw you! So I got worried because I am the only one out here right now." I explained.
Grandpa chuckled while softly petting Cally. She soon relaxed, went back to climbing up more peach trees. As I also climbed the latter with a new empty peach basket, I looked down to see Grandpa passing by still inspecting the trees, he commented "She is a really good cat, she just wants to protect you." I was so very proud of her!
When my Cally came in heat, it was as if she was going to die. Her howling was so loud, so long and she threw herself on the ground in desperate drama, I would look at her annoyed mumbling "Oh Good Grief!" Since I didn't want her to have any kittens yet, I would carry her around outside in a duffel bag. She would stick her head out but the rest was zipped up so that her body wasn't attracting any male cats. 
I thought I was so clever!
When my Cally went missing, I called all over the farm for her. She was gone 2 full nights, when I made the cat call for dinner she never arrived, I became so frighten for her. My cat call was only used at dinner time or if the cats were in danger. What a powerful thing to produce a sound that had them running to me from all over the farm. I began my searching for my Cally right away, but with bedtime in the way I would just lay awaking worrying. God always answered these kind of prayers for me, So I prayed my heart out.
On the 3rd morning I was getting desperate, unsettled and even more worried. I had walked all over farm land, I had asked every family member, I stood up on the top of the hill of my Grandparents front yard and yelled out over the valley below my distinctive cat call. Late in the afternoon as I stood in the summer heat, looking down the Plum orchard rows, I heard a cat reply off in the distant, I called again. I moved quickly across the land, jumping down slopes, running up rows of trees. Then passing my Grandpa who was fixing a sprinkler head. I stopped next to him while catching my breath "I hear my cat! she has been gone almost 3 days!" I exclaimed. He stood to point towards the big open field on the hill side of a neighboring farm, "It's coming from over there." He said calmly. When I called out again, this cat replied. I was amazed, really so excited. Grandpa was chuckling as he went back to work. At the very sight of her My Cally, was like in a movie! I couldn't believe it! she so far away on that hillside, yet she coming home to me. I was crying by the time I had reached her. I will always remember holding her messy, muddy, weedy body up to my chest, I will always remember her pouring like a motorcycle. When my Grandpa check her over, he noticed me wiping away my tears as I laughed. He hugged me saying "If only she could tell us about her adventures!"
Then I walked all the way home with her laying on my shoulders.




No comments:

Post a Comment