Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2019

Teaching Me



 When I saw this I laughed so much, I can relate to the days my brother Derek taught me math, algebra, and Geometry.
When we were kids our mother taught us equal at the very same level. So he quickly surpassed me in numbers and I spent hours writing letters, writing short stories an in my daily journal.  When he needed to sign a birthday or send out a letter to our grandparents as homework and really he only wrote those things if our mother made him to do it as a school project, I would help with him what to write about and how to share a story.
He then of course happily taught me numbers and yet he was like Sheldon in this clip trying to explain from the beginning what he already knew, taking baby steps for me to catch up. And He was always very nice about it even when he got so frustrated

Of course eventually I found other tutors like my friend Tiffany who loved English  lit and my friend Rebekah who helped me through biology.
Even in my first apartment I took all the information of philosophy, debate, and college classes of my roommates to help me along in learning new things.  I have always believed in asking for help, in asking for knowledge as everyone has something to share, something they can teach me.

My first tutor was my brother. I am so grateful for his help, his support and while this show "The Big Bang Theory." captures what it must of been like for Derek in teaching me, I laughed so much!

Teaching can be a tool in how we learn while we are doing it, while we are helping someone one else, we can keep the data fresh in our own minds.

Those days with my brother and that thick heavy confusing algebra book are now treasured not tortured memories. I said to Derek "I don't know why I have to learn this, I will never use it when I am a famous writer!" He nodded understandably back at me saying "We just need to get ya through high school at this point." We would laugh in the stress of it all together of course but now I think how fortunate I was to have such a smart brother, even though it was weird he was so much younger teaching me math, I realized then how we all have gifts that click in ways we can help and teach others. I began to look around at who excelled in subjects I needed help with. 
Starting first with all those long days at home after we got our chores done, we would sit over an open text book and he would draw me out visuals to help.

I laughed so much when I saw this as I thought "Thank you Derek. thank you so much for being my brother!"






No comments:

Post a Comment