Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

At the End.

There is a whole drama series dedicated to the topic of death. It has been judged in many ways over all these years as a dark show. I completely disagree.
For I remember exactly where I was on how that first episode of "6 Feet Under." that I saw playing on my small TV in my newly wed apartment in awe I stopped deep cleaning to watch on as such a fascinating family unfolded in this deeply profound show.

This family has stayed with me through all those years since I was 24 years old and discovered them on my screen.

My whole life now carries the best parts of this show with me into all things concerning death.
My delight in watching a single episode is that I will be left stronger for all the tears I have cried in feeling what they are conveying.
This show can't be consumed in one day or in one season, it's depth goes to the heart and soul of anyone who has been apart of a family. 
It takes time to let yourself learn from their common connections, in learning how you will conduct your very own. 
This show isn't perfect just as we the people, all of us as human beings on this earth are not perfect as well.
I enjoy how imperfections bring out our real truth, our honest struggle and vulnerabilities as the story is made perfect from all the is not! I seek to be honest and be real, I desire to be apart of that great story called "Life."

This TV drama "6 Feet Under." came in our culture at such a time, a rescuing revealing reality of how it is when we live along side death. In a clearly detached from the topic society of flashy new things, a real avoidance of the end in most every place we dwell this show brought it right into our homes, apart from religion we don't have very good guidelines for when death comes to our door step. I loved this show because it helps, it brings the truth front and center. We can try to avoid it like everyone else our age or we can face it bravely and strongly in simply saying "I don't why we all have to die, I am not able to change that fact so carry the fire of love and light in your soul to your very end, let the tears fall like rain there is nothing to be ashamed of."

Death is shame in our society. People even say "Oh what a shame, they died. How sad."
Then they move on in relief that they are not dead yet, they can react in recklessness or in selfish fears. This is just as normal as they react in pure kindness, in humble reverences and in deep gratitude. The show "6 Feet Under." has a gift in revealing how each person can take a tragic sudden death in their ways. Everyone handles grief differently, the layers to this experience is as deep as the ocean, is as painful as cutting up an onion. 
You are the human who has to live on in such great loss, that IS the story and all the memories, all the desire, the longing and the trapped limited feeling you have in not reaching out to touch the one who has passed away...that IS the story of death.
We need to talk more about those things, help each other find our own ways through it. "6 Feet Under." gave me the tools I needed for my life ahead, I had already studied the bible growing up in-depth upon the fearful manipulating subject of death that they used to control me by saying I had to believe exactly as they said to, I had to behave exactly as we are commanded in the bible to behave...strange though I observed so often that death freaked out the most faithful strong Christians of my past. They proclaimed to triumph over death yet they seem to loose their minds in fear of it. I honored death as a small child over simple nature, wild life found dead at my feet. I spent hours and hours praying, seeking answers in my first 10 years. 
I finally felt like I had a grasp, a handle on this struggle topic by the time I was 20, I kept saying death is separation from those you love so with God's help you can carry that same love into the darkness, into the end. 
I found such empowerment by the time I was 22 years old in my research of death, I left Christianity completely and I have been so proud of all the new things I have learned since!
It's strikingly amazing to be free!
It's vital to who I am that in discovering this great show, "6 Feet Under." proved my journey of understanding death better goes deeper then any religion.
For life would not be if death wasn't there, death would not be if life wasn't there.
I laugh and cry fully, deeply, truly caught up by the truth of it all. 

For when David just found out his father died in a car accident yet he's working as the funeral director for an already happening funeral in their family own business his professional world and his personal world collide in his head he is left screaming overwhelmed by it all. That first episode brought me to my knees, I nodded my head as I watched in awe that they have the guts to share what it is really like to deal with life after  sudden death. 
Maybe this show was meant to find me so young and so aware.


How important it is to grieve and to celebrate!
How strong are we as a shared family, a circle of friends and a honorable community to uphold death in such sacred way!
How good it is to not be afraid, to not be vulnerable and to not loose sight of what really matters. 
We are all so different in our gifts and our talents, in our stories and in our struggles, when we admire or delight in each other we learn far more then if we put our guard up and kept walls around us all the time. 
One day there be a real wall called Death, I have tried hard to bust through it so you should know it will come about as solid and strong as anything you can ever find on earth. The wall of death is why I try to help people take down their emotional walls of right now. The final wall will be the hardest one you will ever come across in your own life time. 
I use to think because I knew the show so well, so deeply connected to it, I thought I would not make the same mistakes in facing death, in grieving as the characters of "6 Feet Under." They all showed personal struggle, pain and cloudy minds that I would relate and think it's good to see how I don't want to be.
I use to think I could handle anything tragic event, that I could keep a crisis in careful care.
I use to think so many things when I watched this beloved show.
Now, right now as I re-watch all the way through it again this winter I see ever so clearly, ever so well how exactly true they did this show! I am in awe of it now more then ever!
I use to think this show empowered me for my future, gave me soulful depth and insight. Now I live defeated in my own truth, my own experiences has brought me to this realization over how simply I am human, I am just like this Fisher family in the end. 
16 years later, they all made a show that is timeless for the truth of the human race. A classic drama for us to learn from, to talk about and be comforted in how we feel.

For it's a simple sad truth that no one gets out alive, even with a "passport to heaven" or not, we all come to the end as equals.





No comments:

Post a Comment