Search This Blog

Friday, December 21, 2018

The Freak and The Mighty



          It's a movie that Christmas eve unfolds around these 2 boys, as they become friends and use their strengths to help each other. "The Mighty." was released in theaters in 1998. 
And it was spectacular!
Based on the book "Freak the mighty." by Rodman Philbrick (To which I haven't read this book yet but I sure as hell will never forget this movie!)
In fact when my husband asked me the other day if there is a movie I would like to see again I instantly thought of "The Mighty."
I am without a doubt such a fan of re-watching profound movies over and over again until I have capture ALL of the powerful information from it and can recite it by heart. 
This time in watching this film I realized it's hard to see James Gandolfini playing a bad guy! He's a mob boss with clever street smarts in his tender emotional struggles of living by a code in a deep honest real way as his famous role in HBO's best TV drama ever "The Sopranos." Truly a master in acting, He was able to be so real to the viewer and so he is also great in "The Mighty." I think his part played out perfectly to show those boys how brave they are and how smart they are too! 
It's the most inspiring friendship, such boys getting bullied in school and living with struggles of being different from everyone else then finding out how if they work together they make a good team. They experience living life and having adventures in ways they couldn't do alone. It's profound how they took stories of old, classic characters as knights of the round table and put into real life action a "Hero's Code" to live by!
I was in pure delight the first time I saw this film, finally a movie about real life issues in learning how to work together in order to be our best self!
Finally the truth about kids living with disabilities beyond their own control, and truth in having horrible family members with horrible real life situations while they still carry the fire of hope, of bravery and of loyalty. THE most important years of our lives are when we are kids. AND adults need to know that, they need to realize how their kids will grow up so fast, so it's very important in how they treat their kids, how they teach them and how they lead for them as the examples every child will look towards. Every single child will grow up with a mixture of information from all of the adults around them, if those adults are slacking, are lazy or are very selfish the child will sense it and know it to be true that this life isn't easy, it's even harder with such real painful neglect.
While it's very important not to smoother as well, Parents have a huge job to understand. It's far more important then anything else they will ever do in their life time. They should always be willing to ask for help and support along the way too. I think this movie proves that fact very clearly.
 And This movie showed me a world entirely made up of pure imagination among the real life issues and struggles, in the importance of self-respect while teaming up to feel stronger like these boys in their partnership that brought them independence.

I loved this movie from start to finish, I seek the profound always, I long to fix the world while also knowing I can't do it alone.
These are the life lessons of each and everyone of us. We need teamwork, we need support and help in living our best selves.

I am the mighty, by pure joy I see simple things all around as I try to figure the deeper things out. 
I am the freak, by pure wonder I see humor, right from wrong, I see an endless list of possibilities in simply just living life!

For I mount my horse and draw my sword in facing evil I fight it with true confidence and with pure love, for such evil can not see it's way around me because I am the blinding light!
          Then I hear Max shouting out "They were going to get him a new body! Wait, wait come back!"

and I realize it's even more important to embrace such make believe, to embrace imagination in order to not waste any more time fighting against the reality, the negativity, instead we can write a new chapter and help a new friend every new day for the rest of our lives!

For King Arthur may not of been real, but I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment