Search This Blog

Saturday, February 3, 2018

My Birthday

It was foggy and cold when I woke up and care for the pets, then as it grew into the afternoon the sun shine came out and I happily opened all the windows in our home since my family was coming over for lunch. the night before I baked a couple of apple huckleberry pies instead of birthday cake.

 In the sunny Sunday afternoon my husband Tony grilled up hamburgers and pineapple slices.
 My Mom said it was funny to have me cook for them on my birthday....
Yet I loved having them all come over to visit and enjoy pie with coffee.
It's feeling more like home as the Holidays have unfolded and now my birthday on a nice warm winter's day.
It was fun to hear my father talk about moving to Meridian in 1982, in the small town surrounded by farm land that now is full of new subdivisions and shopping plazas. 
In the last week I went to a grocery store not far from where I grew up and the open field where a white horse lived was still in place set before me in the wide open sky, was I about 7 or 8 years old when I would walk by that horse with our elderly neighbor Bob Hardy who carried sugar cubes for that horse and we got to feel the tongue of the big horse lick the sugars out of our hands as kids.
That was over 30 years now so the fact it's still there this open field I can't help but smile, I have returned to Meridian. We moved out into the country side when I was 10 years old so I really feel like the Orchard farm was were I grew up, but the early days of my childhood were in a trailer park with a gas station around the corner for riding our bikes over to buy some candy or ice cream treats. My young Aunts lived in an apartment not far from there as well and they would babysit us quite often so the play grounds and parks of Meridian reminded me of those busy days of our lives.

Now in having my family over I felt like Good foods and good memories all go hand in hand. It was relaxing and refreshing, it was so sweet that everyone sang happy birthday to me as I hugged my brothers. This is my last year in the 30's so I wonder what I should do with it.....in living here in Meridian I am constantly noticing the new world growing next the old world. Maybe that is how everyone feels about life as they get older.
I sprinkled Derek's huckleberries into my apple pies thinking it's almost as if he were here too, almost as if the day was perfect..........
I walked Oscar that early evening out into our quiet neighborhood grateful for so many things in my life, my old dog and my new home, my family and my husband with many more birthdays ahead (Hopefully with pie every time now) and just another 12 months that could lead to a whole different world for me in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment