Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A Historical Moment

When I took my mother to her favorite chines restaurant, it was just a week or so before I left to Florida. I was happy to share with her all the current changes in that month of April, some things left me feeling very sad like having to move out of our current place once our lease was up....The day with my mother often means I get to her place cook up breakfast, help her in the shower and give pedicure and manicures, usually painting finger nail polish works best when she is in her wheel chair. I like her tightly curled gray hair from dark to light tones, shades of gray looking identical to what I remember about my Grandma. ( I wonder when I am 54 years old only 21 more years from now, will I have the same layer gray hair from dark to light?) I wish so often Grandma was still alive, it would be nice to have her come sit with my mother now. To give her wisdom in dealing with this elderly age....(although 50's shouldn't be the elderly part of our lives after my mother's stroke I would say she aged beyond her own decades now.) So once I get my mother refreshed, we grabbed her purse and cane to head out for the day! (I even set the wheel chair in the back of the car in case we shopped the mall in Nampa while we were out, without it that is a VERY long hall of shops, wears Mom out.)
Mom kept demanding to have her cell phone or her wallet those 2 things are not with her all the time so she can get obsessed to have them again. "When I drive again I will go straight to Wal-Mart and see what deals are going on right now." Mom stated in her usual adorable way of thought sharing, I chuckled as we drove into town from the country side I replied back honestly. "IF you ever drive again I think you will notice the left lane missing ALL together...I could JUST see you saying out loud while behind the wheel "WOW what an OPEN road!" but the on coming traffic would DISAGREE." We both giggled over this.
Taking my mother to lunch wasn't any new event, but having my father meet up with us was! I was excited to have my parents to myself for lunch, THIS was a true historical event! I have never gone out to eat with just my Mother and Father, it as the rarest thing to wonder over. I loved it the quiet conversation, the nice way my father watched over my mother as she ate and how he walked with us to the bathroom door. He was amazed to hear suddenly I was going to be in Florida and we had the most pleasant afternoon. There was even a heart felt hug when I tearful mention having to move out of our home sooner then we wanted too, my father has aged a million years and yet stays the same all at once. His toughness can melt away like butter, his conversations can be very thoughtful. I may always be very guard around him but at least I can admire these moments in history when I get to sit over Chinese food, over my mother's favorite mandarin Chicken and see my parents before me! In the beginning they were there when I arrived, now 33 years later here we were again just the 3 of us.


No comments:

Post a Comment