Search This Blog

Friday, November 12, 2010

The bother of Boys

As a bubbly young girl I grew up through my teenage years with 3 wonderful beloved girlfriends. They were the sun, the moon and the stars to me. I was so thankful for them, for the friendships that gave me so much joy and peace of mind. When you struggle with your own personal insecurities Good Friends bring you out of your doubt, they love you no matter what. You can grow and live a stronger life for just having such faithful true friends like that. Having both the homeschooling and church life style in common, we four young ladies formed a bond strong enough to last a life time. Now currently in our adult lives we have been taken out into the real world, into the different lives and places. Yet in my heart it's the four of us so young and so happy together. I truly love all my memories of my beloved girls, they really helped me not grow old into a lonely bitter person:-)

"Debby! We are taking our food outside like a picnic...meet us out there!" Tiffany said this to me as I was still walking down the line of food dishes at this one of many hundreds of Church potlucks. She had return for punch cups and saw me. I smiled and nodded in replying "I will find you!" I loved being 14 years old with my 3 new friendships. Our Sunday school class was very intimate with just the four of us, Rebekah, Tiffany, Jennifer and ME<3
As I walked out to the back field where these girls sat together, I was so happy to know they were my very own friends. "Debby!" Jennifer waved to me while moving over on the blanket so I could sit next to her. As Tiffany and Rebekah were sharing thoughts on the next time they played "Rats of Nimm." Jen and I gave each other an odd look as I asked "What in the world is Rats of Nimm?" While they explained that it was a group of rats, each made into their own character to act out as they all played in the Nampa park or wherever they all got together. "Oh scary! I HATE Rats!" I informed them. Both girls began to laugh at the same time Tiffany shook her head "NO SILLY it's not REAL rats! we pretend to be this band of rats, It's like in the books "Wind and the Willows" where the animals can talk." Jen and I giggled together as we ate, then I clapped my hands together "We should play it now!" Rebekah replied quickly "No. We need more room and everyone isn't here, We are just getting the story line straight for the next time we play." I would find that I as played with them that I still couldn't picture everyone as some clever rat. So instead I saw them all looking like badgers when I used my imagination in playing this famous "Rats of Nimm."
Right off the Boise river when the four of us girls had a sleep over party at Jen's home, We played "Rats of Nimm." I was a snobbish city rat, While Jen and Tiff were the adventurous male rats and Bekah was the mothering rat who tried to keep me from doing crazy things. Poor Rebekah! for I determined to fall in the river no matter what! As I threw out my fishing stick with some random string attached that Tiffany had given me, I began my acting in my city rat voice. "This shall take me forever to catch dinner! We will no doubt starve out here, Oooh how I just hate fishing!" Suddenly a roaring male's laughter came across the river, I was startled to be discovered in my acting. He was floating down on a inner tube with a beer can in one hand and he began shouting out to his buddies "This little gal thinks she is fishing hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha." I quickly ducked behind a tree and climbed up the slope to my girls, they were laughing too! "Oh Debby! You really get into acting when you want." Tiff said with another laugh. As the guys floated by, yelling at each other "There was a girl trying to fish! I shit you not! hahahaha" Jen looked back at me saying "I think we have a group of drunk guys who will be laughing about you for the rest of the day." She smiled while shaking her head. We all four hid among the bushes and trees until the men's laughter trailed down the river. Rebekah whispered while we waited "I was thinking you were talking so loud." Then She patted my shoulder while I sighed in complete embarrassment. Yet being with my 3 beloved friends I felt undoubtedly bold and protective.
One evening while our youth group played a game at church with 2 teams against each other, I saw a guy throw Tiffany up in the air after coming at her from behind and tossing her up. I was focus in on that moment like a hawk or maybe a mother bear. She looked startled, she looked worried as she quickly pulled away from him. We were just 14 and 15 years old, and I didn't trust this greasy black haired college aged guy. When he circled her a second time I ran myself right in between them and elbowed him in the side. If I was Tiffany I would have been horrified if this guy touch me. He was a big dork, a nerdy flirty man who was spoiled rotten by his mother and sister. I never once trusted him for one second, this was the kind of guy parents all easily liked but never actually saw him for what he really did or said. Tiffany grabbed me tightly "Don't leave me alone with him please." I just nodded as she whispered in my ear, my eyes were glaring him down. "Ouch! Debby why did you DO that?' He asked with a frown while rubbing his side. "I guess you were crowding me." I smirked. For if you weren't my father then I didn't have to take crap from you. When it came to boys at that age I had no room to let them boss me around, I was always going to be protecting my girls. This young man and I would go the rounds as if in a boxing match over the next few years.....
He had followed Beka so closely into the camper as she and I settled down to talk about my biology book. This was the fun filled week of Church camp where I was in social heaven, at the age of 16 I shot him a glance asking "Why are You here?" He held up a folder to Rebekah he didn't look at me. "I thought I would show you something." He hated me just as easily as I hated him, so I smirked and rolled my eyes. He caught me and spat back "Debby you can leave, this isn't about You." I closed my biology book quickly while throwing up my arms "Gladly!" Then Beka grabbed me by the arm, "Stay! please just study here....Please." She moved to the upper steps of the RV, settling down on the couch. I melted back into the kitchen table that double as my bed at night. For my Beloved Rebekah I will suffer but NOT silently, He began his nerdy way of flirting again. He was always so bulldozing and demanding to be liked. I snorted again as he talked, He tried to ignore me but sometime he would squawk "DEBBY enough! what IS your problem!" For 3 long hours I kept my nose in my text book and one eye on him. He sat first in a chair then moved casually over to the couch to be right next to Bekah who instantly curled up into a ball putting a pillow in front of her for extra space. When this college guy did moves like that I would snap my fingers and point to his empty chair "Get back there..." I sounded like I was talking to a dog.  Rebekah would giggle, I found this fact to be very odd for Rebekah was by the book rules and determined to always do the right thing, giggling was rarely heard from her. I liked hearing her giggle when he teased her. It was cute but I still didn't trust him. In his folder he began "I was inspired by you." He said intensely to Rebekah I paused for a moment in turning my book's page we waited for him to continue. The sheet of paper was vibrant and flashy. "So you are now a character in my comic book! This is Rebekah the righteous!" I let my head fly back and a huge deep laugh left me and then my face slammed into my text book. "OH PLEASE!" Rebekah looked very impressed, "This is ME?" I ran over and grabbed the page "This is NOT Beka her boobs are not twice the size of her head! Who said YOU  could draw her boobs anyway!" Rebekah was now patting my arm and calming me down. She looked back at her love sick greasy man in replying "Maybe you should tone down these kind of features?" I let out a loud "HA!" as I sat back down while they discuss all the characters in his personally made comic book. He turned to me with a smirk "If I drew Debby she would be a villain!" I snorted back "You couldn't capture MY beauty." Rebekah would always "Shhh" me when I spoke so rudely at the guy. But She would have been so lost without me at the very same time. When He began to tickle her, and I heard the alarm, the fear in her voice as she told him to stop repeatedly. I shot up from my table again only this time to actually hit him hard in the arm with a slap across the shoulder at least twice and I yelled "KNOCK IT OFF! and Get OUT!" He quickly turned on me again "Ouch! Why are you always hitting and kicking me!?" He left quickly as I was steaming and glaring at him. Once he was gone I sat down next to Beka completely mentally exhausted. "What an idiot!" I mumbled and Rebekah laid up next me saying "Thank you for being the bad guy, I was so freaked out!" We laughed as I reenacted my swinging hand hitting the couch pillow, "I really liked hitting him!" I said so proudly, and we laughed again.

"You have to sit somewhere else, there isn't any more room at this table. No Debby! I said you can not sit here that is Jennnifer's seat." I glared at this cocky corny blond haired boy. It was another Sunday potluck and the usual event is, I always saved a chair for Jen and she for me. But while it was pouring rain outside the church was extra crowded on this afternoon. I stood there holding my plate of food wondering once again to myself "why do boys have to be such a bother?" Suddenly I knew I was not backing down, This young man was JUST a friend, though he may have wanted to be Jennifer's boyfriend. I knew he couldn't win over where she sat this day without a fight. "Listen, you can't win this just move over to the kids table behind us." I said I waited. He shook his head and his eyes narrowed in on me for he was now mad. "Don't be such a big baby." he spatted at me and I slammed my plate down on the table and hissed "MOVE!" He rolled his eyes and patted the empty chair next to him while smirking "This is for Jen and I to sit together, YOU move!" I felt helplessly out of control with sudden rage at the whole situation. Usually I liked this guy as a friend in our group but now he had over step his place. I knew I wasn't giving up, I waved my hand over to the space at the other table "Just go sit down and stop causing a scene!" I demanded. He let out a cough "HA! It's YOU who is causing a scene! For the last time Debby Jen is sitting with ME!" He said as he rolled his eyes. At that very moment a hand was on my back as Jennifer's brother stood there, he had been watching this all go down. He leaned into this guy's face saying quickly "That is Debby's chair, it's not even a question. I thought you were smarter then that." he rolled his eyes at me and just as quickly he was gone. I couldn't help but sit down with one of the biggest smiles I have ever had. When this young man moved he glared at me saying "WE shall ask Jen herself." But I was way to happy to even care anymore. I loved when Jen slide into her chair next me already knowing from her brother what had happened. "REALLY? you guys it is JUST a chair! but Debby will always get the first seat." She winked at me and I replied with wave of my hand "For who needs boys anyway?!" We nodded and smiled in agreement.

No comments:

Post a Comment