Search This Blog

Saturday, March 30, 2019

Minnie Mouse

             
The sweetest cartoon character I can remember as a kid was Minnie Mouse. The name came to me so naturally after having seen how sweet Meme was at the vet even though she was in great pain getting all fixed back up.

My sister's husband had came across this stray, this helpless expensive mess of a dog. 
It was almost winter when my sister dropped off this annoying dog to her in my back yard. I hadn't except her to drive all the way into town to my new home.
I arrived home with this shaggy messy stinky stray dog not knowing if I am dealing with a problem dog or a infected dog. Yet Minnie Mouse was the name I choose for her in her new life of hitting the "Jackpot." with coming to live with us. They say a rescued dog should have a new name as a new identity and a whole new life begins for them. I did that so naturally with Minnie, she was an overwhelming mess when she came into our lives, yet she was always gentle and kind to the rest of the cats and dogs in our nicely setup home.
She took that first walk with me as I worked with her on how she behaved and how she interacted with a whole new world with such joy.
Those first days were full of appointments to the groomer all day because she was covered in a tar like clay that cause impacted anal glands. The updated shots, check up and ear cleaning at the vet was 200 dollars alone as they pulled out a pile of cheat grass from her ears, while she cried out and squealed she never tired to bite those people helping her. She kept her eyes on me the whole time as I talked smoothly to her as silent tears rolled down my cheeks. A stray dog as sweet as her deserves a better life for sure!

     



My 3 dogs have such different personalities that why we lived so peacefully all together for 6 years. Minnie likes laying in the shade or inside looking out, Oscar likes being outside all the time or on my lap, while Sidda keeps watch over the home from inside or napping in the sun light. When Minnie came into our lives she blended right in without taking away what was important to my other 2 dogs. This made her a very sweet dog as well, the fact she was devoted to my husband Tony more then going on a walk at the park with the rest of us. She was his kind of dog, just happy to be together.

The day after my brother had died suddenly Oscar attacked Minnie so viciously over a dog treat, the blood all over the floor had me sobbing in shock helplessly on the floor pulling them apart as I asked my husband in desperation "What has happened to MY LIFE!? What the hell is going on!?!"  We never allowed Oscar to be with Minnie again, he's focus on her is to battle maybe because she is deaf now or maybe because she likes to be in my lap more and he feels threaten in his old age too. What once was a perfect pack of 3 very different dogs, all sharing the couch and all sharing their home became 2 different worlds in our new place.
I have devoted my life to making them all comfortable and safe in these retirement years. While Sidda and Minnie take on each morning outside, Minnie will return wanting back in as I hold Oscar back until Minnie comes in so he can go out. He runs and plays with Sidda just as Minnie did but not at the same time. I knew such a life style as this can't last forever yet it was never Minnie's fault that Oscar is mad she can't hear him anymore. 
 I know that my beautiful trio will come to their peaceful end not far from each other so as we lay to rest Minnie Mouse tomorrow I know she had such a great life, we took her with us to the Couerd'Alene Lake for a week which made her so happy to lay around with just us, no cats trying to lay on her.  While we stayed in a cabin a few weekends ago with Minnie in Sun Valley I saw how hard life is for her now, it made me realize that in the pet friendly setup I have made of our home she gets around safely and better. I would of thought all her health issues were just what I take care of everyday in our cozy place.....yet her desire for a new adventure is completely gone.
Her fear of not seeing me at all times has increased, her time has now come.
She will always be my husband's ideal dog who hates long walks and loves food. She will bring us laughter in our memories, she will be a great story of living from rags to riches.

Her gratefulness was so clearly seen every morning she would awake between us on the bed with a "WOW! We lived through the night! This is GREAT!" then she would playfully roll and wiggle. She would bulldoze us over in blankets and pillows so happy to see each of us again and then she would lick our faces once before bolting outside in true grateful delight!
Minnie would often give Oscar a side look as to why he doesn't see what a great life he lives in side by side with us, for he will always be our drama queen. Then she would think Sidda was crazy to be so picky about her treats as Minnie ate everything first then asked questions later. 
Having such a happy soul in our lives like our Minnie Mouse has made these last 8 years truly perfect in a not so perfect world.


Hold back the river, let me look in your eyes.....I will miss you by my side everyday Miss Minnie.
We will always miss you! Sweet Dreams our sweet girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment