Search This Blog

Monday, March 13, 2017

Soggy Bottom Boys - I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow




On this sunny warm Monday afternoon I just sit here a moment in gratefulness of all my memories of my brother Derek, I bumped into another snowboarder who works as a physical therapist for my elderly friend Bernice, For Bernice fell and broke her hip on the same weekend as my brother's funeral so I have only been able to see her a couple of times since, we chatted over her lunch time as she seems to be healing now.
Bumping into the physical therapist as she worked with Bernice, we got to talking about all this snow and how it was such a bad winter. Then when she said that she loves snowboarding down Baldy in Sun Valley only recently there was a guy who died in a tree well up there, I nearly fainted and yet bravely faced her with a sad smile "Yup." I choked back tears as I chuckled "That was my brother, so I understand it's very dangerous with so much snow this year." She was so surprised and we talked all about that news story of Derek's sudden death.
Bernice shared "You have a famous brother, I guess." I sat awhile with her talking and she thoughtfully said "This is always going to be a part of you now, the days will get easier but you will never be same as well." I truly loved seeing Bernice again today, I know that she had to loose her parents, her sister and her husband so she knows what she is talking about.
I bet I will run into people down the road who knew my brother or remember this latest story of a snowboarder falling into a tree well again.

It just really surprised me to hear a stranger tell me about my brother like that, it's going to be a big part of me now.




No comments:

Post a Comment